Chapter VII

"We understand her wishes and will respect them. After all we do need her alive," Parker agrees.

Caleb glares at him and apologizes, "Sorry about him." He finishes helping Bryan get me into my coverall, covering my hair and face. "Don't worry, this isn't a spinal cord injury. You can't make it any worse, only time can do that."

"Thank you," Bryan answers in relief. He picks me up like a princess, holding me tightly. He follows the other two outside.

They rush through the wood, all I could move is my neck and head. The sky was just waking up and it was cooler outside than yesterday. I rest my head on Bryan's shoulder, his scent is exactly what I need. It reminds me that I'm still okay and have my family with me. The scent of love, someone I can fall back on.

"I'll go gather a few horses," Caleb explains. He tells Parker, "Go get a couple bags of ice! We need to keep her fever down."

"You'll be okay, I promise." Bryan whispers to me. He rocks back and forth with me in his arms, just like he did when I had nightmares.

My strength continues to decrease, and I want to believe his words. I understand much too well, everything dies and it is never the right time.

"I have the horses, and Parker is a couple steps behind me." Caleb explains. I hear the horses trotting, then it stopped. "I'll help you onto your horse, you must be careful."

"I understand," Bryan reassures. I feel the unsteadiness of getting onto the horse. We give the horse a moment to adjusted, then we are fine once more.

"Take the ice and place it into her jacket, next to her side," Caleb instructs giving Bryan the bag of ice. I hear the other horses snort, Caleb and Parker mounted.

"We will be to the capital in a little over twenty minutes," Parker said.

We started moving at a good pace, but every minute I was becoming more and more tired. I feel my eyes drop, along with my head.

"Hey!" Bryan shouts getting their attention, "She is getting extremely tired!"

I can always count on Bryan to notice when I get tired or sleepy. He's so protective of me and I don't mind it.

"She must stay awake! She might go into another seize or even worse." Caleb exclaims, "Keep her talking, or make her sing. We're almost there."

Bryan nods and brushes the hair out of my eyes. He smiles at me and ask, "Ellie, what's the song you always sing when you are nervous? Can you sing it to me?"

I know it's getting worse and the fear continues to creep up on me. I answer Bryan's request and begins to sing, "Ooh... child. Things are going to get easier... ooh child, things'll get brighter." It gets easier for me to sing as I continue, but I'm so tired.

"Come on, I know there is more than just that," Bryan rubs my cheek. He encourages me, "Please sing for me. I love your voice."

"Some day... yeah, we'll get it together and we'll get it done. Some day, when your head is much lighter." I paused taking a couple breaths. I smiled up at Bryan, "Some day... we'll walk in the rays of a beautiful sun. Some days... when the world is much brighter."

"That was so beautiful," Bryan tells me. He looks forward, "We're here. Let's get you fixed up!"

Caleb and Parker helped Bryan down without much turbulence. My focus is all over the place and before I knew it I was placed onto a gurney. Then realization hit me like a truck.

I glanced all around for Bryan, I couldn't see him. Where is he? I need him! All I could see were nurses pushing me. I was by myself! No, no, no!

"Bryan!" I scream. The nurses jumped, but didn't stop. "Bryan! Bryan! Get me Bryan!" I begin to freak out.