Chapter 2

Miles POV
November, 2009

The restaurant is buzzing with activity as soon as I walk in. A lady wearing a tight black dress and curly blonde hair waits at the greeting podium. I stroll towards her, with one hand in my coat pocket.

"I have a reservation" I say with a cool smile.

She blushes slightly and looks down at the podium to look at a list of reservation "Name?"

"Hastings" I say looking around the restaurant. Everything is sleek and modern. There are many large windows that cover the walls. The ceiling is exposed which gives it a more rustic feel, and in the centre of the room, a large crystal chandelier hangs proudly.

"Miles Hastings?" She asks shyly.

I expand my arms "the one and only" I say and let my drop back to my sides.

"Oh my god" I hear her say under her breath as she gathers a menu from the podium "follow me" she says with a wide smile.

I walk behind her through the restaurant, and watch as people look up from their plates and conversations as I walk by. I guess you can say that my family's big in the media. My mother is a highly respected ex- supermodel. Though she doesn't walk the runway anymore, she is constantly bombarded with fans and the press. She is a fashion icon, and instead of using the the catwalk to show off her expensive clothing, she uses the busy streets of New York instead.

"Here you go Mr. Hastings" the waitress says placing the menu in the empty spot at the table before hurriedly walking away.

"Miles my dear I've missed you!" My mother says getting up from her seat and hugs me tightly. She pushes back and places her hands on my shoulders. She is wearing a loose red dress with a gold belt around her waist. Her makeup and hair are done perfectly like always. Though her shoes add and extra few inches to her already tall figure, she still doesn't reach my height.

"Even with these shoes your still taller than your mother" she jokes and we both laugh.

"Believe me mom, you don't want to be 6'4 because that means half of your shoe closet would have to be donated" I joke and she bursts out in laughter.

I move from her and too my seat. My father's eyes are glued to his phone, not even noticing my presence. My mother takes her seat beside him and lightly taps him on his shoulder. He immediately puts his phone is his coat pocket.

"Miles" he says drily grabbing the menu and begins to flip through it

"Dad" I return.

"So how was Italy darling?" my mother asks me and takes a sip of her white wine, trying her best to relive some of the tension.

"It was good" I say stretching my arms. I spent eight hours on a jet, and I had to rush to the reteraunt so I wasn't late. My father can't stand people being late.

"I'm very glad to hear that dear, we cretainly did miss you. Two months is much too long for a mother to wait to see her son" she says running her fingers through her golden hair. My mother has always been one to make sure she looks above average wherever she goes. Even if it's just to get some air, her make up has to be perfect as well as her hair, she must have at least five pieces of jewlery on, and she will not leave the house wearing anything but designer clothes and shoes. She's obsessive that way.

"Two months is much too long for a working man to be gone" my father says with a stern voice and looks up from his menu. I can tell my mother picked out his navy blue suit, because it perfectly accents her red dress.

"Don't worry dad, I'm sure while I was away, you had time to make many more millions without anyone bothering or annoying you" I say putting my arm around the empty chair beside me and smile at him.