May 2011: Easy Peasy

“Miss Bell!” I hear Kordrol yelling my name from across the hall, and I curse softly.  I turn, plastering a smile back on my face.  My heart is racing, and I want nothing more than to be out of this building.  This building where Richard and his new fiancé are now dancing, staring lovingly into each other’s terrible eyes.

“You aren’t leaving, are you? The Hudson Gallery will be receiving an award in a few moments, and I’m sure Vera would want someone here to accept it.” Kordrol is out of breath as he runs up to us, stopping in front of me.  His eyes search my face, and I honestly don’t know what to say for a minute.  I can only think about Richard, and that diamond ring, and the fact that I think Kordrol is a huge creep.

“Miss Bell isn’t feeling well.” Tom steps in for me, after it takes me far too long to respond. Kordrol frowns, looking a mixture of angry and annoyed.  He takes a half step back and then turns to me, his face red and his eyes wide.

“Not feeling well? But you have to stay.  Someone has to be here—“ His voice gets higher and I quickly shake my head.  I don’t want a scene.  I don’t want it to get back to Vera that I was ungracious or that I left early.  I put a hand up, resting it gently on Kordrol’s arm.  He calms almost instantly, and I pull my hand away.

“I’m fine. I’m staying. Don’t worry, Mr. Kordrol.” I say finally, putting up my hands.  He looks relieved, and the redness drains from his face slightly.

“Good.  I still wanted to give you that private tour. It could be very beneficial to your career.  I could introduce you to a lot of people, Miss. Bell.” He says this, moving slightly so his back is to Tom, sort of pushing him off to the side.  I’m not sure if I’m reading far too much into Kordrol’s words, but I feel my stomach clench with nausea.  I’m sure Tom hasn’t heard what he said to me, otherwise Tom would be jumping back into knight-in-shining-armor mode, coming to defend my honor.

 “If you’ll excuse me, please.  I’m just going to go to the restroom.”  I push away from both of them, feeling like I’m going to break into a million pieces if I see Kordrol’s sweaty red face for a minute more.  I walk quickly toward out of the main room, toward the foyer where I know there is a ladies room.  

I step inside, relieved to find it empty.  As soon as I receive the award, I’ll find a way to slip out.  I just hope I can make it that long.  Stepping in front of the wide mirror, I look at my reflection.  My hair sits in loose waves down my shoulders, and my cheeks are flushed pink.  My throat and chest are splotchy, red and pink as well and I look a little like I have a rash.  Great.  The perks of having fair skin.  Everything I feel becomes evident on my skin.

I grab a few paper towels and run them under cool water, then dab gingerly at my throat and chest.  If this isn’t a bit of a nightmare, I’m not sure what is.  Deep breaths.  Deep, cleansing breaths.  Doesn’t really work.  I give myself to the count of twenty, then brace myself.

I carefully leave the bathroom, peeking outside first to see if Kordrol is anywhere around.  The coast seems to be clear.  I can see him far on the other side of the room.  Perhaps he’s decided to harass someone else for a bit.  I slip out of the bathroom, looking for the best place to stand and be as invisible as possible.  Reminder for next time Vera asks me to fill in for her—are there any lecherous, creepy old men there?

“Are you alright?” Tom’s voice is low and careful, and I turn around, finding him standing to the side, waiting.

“I’ll be okay.” I nod.  I’m embarrassed that he saw me so upset.  I’m thrilled he’s here, but I’m also not sure if I can handle any extra drama. Or feelings.  I’d love it if I could just turn everything off for a moment.