December 2013: Christmas Introductions

A/N: Thank you all for the support on this story.   I truly hope you enjoyed it.  I can't put into words what it means to have all your likes, and your comments.  Thanks for your suggestions and encouragement, and all the funny, inspiring and awesome conversations I've had with so many of you.  Also thanks to my baes, @bluebell84 and @redwritinghood09-- who also helped with some dialogue in this chap. ;) Love you all!

I’m alone, buried under covers in my tiny twin bed.  It’s a warm cocoon, and though I can hear a distant knocking, I don’t want to peer out into the chilly room.  The tapping gets louder, and I finally poke my head out.  I’m greeted by the familiar room at Sandbanks.  Newly renovated by Mrs. H, though I can’t quite tell what is different about it.  New comforter, and I think the wood floors look a little shinier than they did the last time I was here.  I sit up, my hair tousled and sticking up every which way.

“Yes?” I ask softly.  I arrived into Sandbanks late last night, as always.  The house had been quiet when I’d arrived, and Mrs. H had sent me off to bed with tea and fresh made biscuits. 

“Hi. It’s just me, sorry.” Emily pokes her head in, smiling brightly. She hesitates awkwardly, and then slides into the room.  “Good morning.”

“Morning!” I say, feeling a bit groggy but mostly awake.  Christmas morning.  There’s the normal buzz of excitement in the house.

“How are you? How was the trip in?” She asks, standing just inside the door.

“Good. Thanks for asking.” I smile.  She nods, and I feel as if she’s waiting to say something.

“Well, um, I wanted you to meet someone. He’s been very busy lately with work, and hasn’t been around much.” She hops awkwardly from foot to foot, and shrugs.  I frown, sitting up more, and surveying my situation.  Baggy tshirt, messy hair, rumpled everything.  Well.

“Oh?” I raise my eyebrows.

“Yes. My older brother. Um…here.” She scoots to the side, and then gives me a side glance. “I’m sorry, he’s making me do this.” She hisses softly, before grabbing the door handle and yanking it open.  She scurries out of the room, and I’m half laughing, half confused. 

A second later, Tom comes into the room.  He’s smiling, his cheeks pink.  He’s wearing what can only be described as the most horrid Christmas sweater ever, and he’s carrying something behind his back.

“Hi.” I say, trying not to laugh, remembering back so long ago when we’d done this same thing.

“Hello again.” He says softly, looking at me with bright, happy eyes.

“Hi.” I repeat, breathless for some reason. 

“I’m Tom. Nice to meet you.” He leans over the side of my bed, and places a huge bouquet of flowers next to me.  they look like wild flowers, a vast array of them, wrapped in heavy paper and tied with twine at the bottom.  I smile, feeling a laugh burst forth, my vision blurring.  He lowers himself next to my bed, laughing as well.

“Nice to meet you, Tom. I’m Gracie.” I whisper.  He grins and leans over, intertwining his fingers with mine.  He lifts them to his mouth, kissing my palms and then holding them to his face.  We both smile, and Tom’s eyes get glassy.  I blink and feel a tear run down my cheek.

“I was wondering, Gracie, if you’d like to go on a date with me.” He says, moving my hands over, holding them against his chest.  I can feel his heart beating, strong against my palms.  I laugh softly, through my tears.

“Yes, yes I would love that.” I nod, leaning in to him.  Tom grins and then pulls me to him, crawling into bed with me and smothering my face with kisses.

“I’m sorry it took me so long to ask you that.” He whispers.

“It’s okay.  All that matters is that you did.” I manage, burying my face in his neck, grabbing handfuls of his sweater and trying to pull it off.  Tom laughs as he squirms against me, burrowing further into the tiny bed.

“Where did you get this sweater?!” I laugh, looking at the massive amounts of yarn balls and snowflakes adorned on it.  Tom laughs, shaking his head.

“Santos strikes again.” He grins, and then we dissolve into laughter. “He said you’d never refuse me in this sweater.”

“He’s right.  He’s definitely right.” I grin and then nuzzle against Tom.  We grow quiet, our chatter turning into giggles and soft sighs.  The house seems to awaken around us. We are wonderfully alone and nestled in our room, but just outside, Christmas morning starts to bloom.  The noise of breakfast and presents and family a soft soundtrack just outside the room.  We take our time, and then, when we manage to untangle our limbs, we get ready together and then go join our family in the festivities.