December 2012: Cookies

*A/N: Thanks for reading. You're all the best. I hope you enjoy....

As soon as we get back to the house, Santos and Emily spring into action, trying to get together a drinking game.  Mrs. Hiddleston’s neighbors have stopped by for some Christmas eve drinks, so they are busying themselves in the kitchen. Tom was quiet on the way back, hardly speaking and obviously mulling something over in his head.

I had an idea what…or who, it was. He disappears as soon as we get back, so I don’t have a chance to talk to him.

I go to my room, deciding to change into something comfortable. I’m still cold from the tree lighting, so I pull on some yoga pants, a tank top and a thick knit cardigan on top of that.  The room I’m in is only a tiny bit larger than my usual room, but it has a queen sized bed, which takes up most of the space.  Normally, some of the cousins or aunts stay in this room, but since it’s just us, it’s nice to have a big bed for the stay.  I slip my feet into a fluffy pair of socks, and then head back downstairs to try and find Tom, and the others.

I make my way toward the kitchen, the main room darkened except for the glow of the Christmas tree.  I stop short as I’m about to round the corner, when I hear the Mrs. Hiddleston’s hushed voice.  I hold my breath, pausing before I get to the doorway.

“If you have feelings for her, you need to say something. Do something, Thomas.” I hear Mrs. Hiddleston say, her voice a loud whisper.  I know that I shouldn’t be listening in.  I’m not sure who they’re talking about, but I’m pretty certain it may have something to do with the woman that Mrs. Hiddleston saw at the tree lighting.  I feel my stomach tighten, and I wait for his response.

“Mum. Please. I…” Tom sounds frustrated, angry.

“It’s been years.” She says gently.  I lean against the doorframe, hiding just out of sight.

“I know it’s been years. It’s not that easy.” He says. “Mum, I love you, but please.”

“I just hate seeing you like this. You know—“

“Don’t worry about me, really.” He states, his voice gentler, quieter.  “You’d be surprised, I’m smarter than I look.” He says with a soft laugh.  I hear Mrs. Hiddleston chuckle, and make a few tutting noises.  There’s silence, and I stay still, pressed against the wall.  A part of me feels terrible for listening in, but mostly I just feel a little like I’ve had the wind knocked out of me.  A moment later, I hear movement, and then I’m jolted quickly into action when Tom comes around the corner.  He hesitates when he sees me, and I try my best to look like I’ve just gotten there. 

“Tom! I, uh, was wondering if you wanted to play the game with us.” I say quickly, pushing my hands into my sweater pockets.  Tom’s jaw is set, and he looks at me with serious, dagger-like eyes.

“Are you…alright?” I take a step back, and hope he hasn’t figured out I was eavesdropping.

“I’m fine.” He says slowly, and I see a muscle in his jaw clench.

“Right. Well. We’re playing some card games—“

“I’m probably going to relax in my room.  This is the first few days off I’ve had in awhile, and I’m knackered. Thank you, though.” He shakes his head swiftly.  He’s still watching me carefully, as if trying to figure out how much I could have heard of the conversation he was just having.

I hear Santos and Emily cackling from somewhere downstairs in the basement, and then a low rumble of yells from Mark and Cillian.  Apparently, they’ve already started drinking and games.  They won’t miss me.