Black Swan ~ Age 12

Start from the beginning

It was then that he noticed the crimson stains on the inside of the swans wings.

The world went black and the swan went white.

Its beak remained crimson, matching the colour on the underside of its wings.

He couldn't tear his gaze away from the sliding drops, splatting against the ground in a barely visible colour. The wings spread wide, over the swan's head, and all around it.

There was no way for him to step back. There was no way for him to get away.

He could only stand and watch as the world went white once again, and the swan's feathers turned black. The crimson that was once there turned invisible on the swan's feathers, but it was clearly visible beneath its feet.

Staining the white ground a pure scarlet.

The swan started trembling and in a moment's time, it flapped its wings and took off high above him.

It disappeared from his sight.

He still couldn't move a muscle.

Then, out of nowhere, something lightly tapped his shoulder and fell onto the ground.

A single, black feather.

Then, another one fell right in front of him.

It didn't take long for more to come.

The feathers swirled and twirled around him, each one finding their last stop on the colourless ground, covering it in infinite blackness. So many of them fell, that not one spot on the ground remained white anymore.

Once again, the world changed colour, and so did the feathers.

Another crack resounded, but from behind him. An involuntary shiver went down his spine, causing his body to let out a violent tremble, one he had no hope of forcing down. Loud clanking noises neared closer until he was sure that it, whatever it was, was right behind him.

It was then, that he felt it; Hot, searing pain in his chest.

His fingers twitched and he forced himself to look down.

A thick, bone-like thing stuck right out of his chest, crimson liquid staining its whole form. In a moment's time, it was pulled back, invoking even harsher pain in his body. He stumbled forward, his knees collapsing under his weight, and fell atop the snowy feathers. Some of them flew back, but most of them remained.

He pressed his hand onto the wound, but the blood still slid through, falling atop the colourless feathers, turning them into another colour. His blood dripped and dripped, until every single feather turned crimson.

Another crack echoed from behind him, even closer this time.

He blinked and the scene around him slowly changed.

The crimson feathers which lay atop the dark ground fluttered and out of them grew crimson flowers.

Red spider lilies bloomed around his weakening body, as if they were feeding on his blood.

As the last of his strength left him, his body went limp and he fell atop the flowers. Casting one last look behind himself, before his eyes slid shut, he saw it...

The swan, which had stood majestic in both black and white, now stood a skeleton.

His blood slid down the tip of its bony wing.