fog of war [1] |✧

chapter twenty-six | murphy & clarke

chapter twenty-six | murphy & clarke ↠ ↠ ↠

2 days later...

Murphy rested his head on Hunter's hand, holding it tightly. She remained unconscious, still recovering from the trauma. She had lost a significant amount of blood, but Abby's medical expertise had managed to save her. Murphy had scarcely left her side, and Clarke came by almost every hour to check if she had awakened. Finn, on the other hand, could barely bring himself to look at her without overwhelming self-loathing for his actions.

Hunter slowly opened her eyes; it was nighttime. She felt a sharp pain in her shoulder, causing her to wince as she shifted. Then, she sensed the warmth of someone's hand holding hers and looked down to find Murphy still asleep. She offered him a faint smile and gently squeezed his hand, rousing him from his slumber. He jolted slightly but returned her smile. "You're awake. I'll go get Abby—"

"Wait, Murphy," Hunter interrupted. "Help me up."

"Hunter, just let me—"

"Please," she insisted. Murphy took her hand and assisted her in sitting up, albeit with some pain. She took a deep breath and leaned back against the pillows. "Where am I?"

"The Ark. You've been asleep for two days," Murphy replied, settling onto the bed.

Hunter looked at Murphy, recalling what had transpired. She took another deep breath. "Where's Finn?" she asked quietly.

"Uh, they're voting to decide whether to clear him of his charges," Murphy informed her. "They cleared me." Hunter retraced the events in her mind, not fully paying attention to Murphy's words. "Wait, I need to get someone; they've been waiting to see you." Murphy got up.

"Murphy—" Hunter began, but he had already left the tent. Left alone, Hunter sat back and inspected her shoulder, which was bandaged, with a small amount of blood seeping through. She glanced to her side and noticed a sling prepared for her, anticipating her awakening. She reached for it just as someone swiftly entered the tent. Hunter looked up, and there was Clarke. Hunter smiled, and Clarke immediately approached, hugging her tightly.

"You're here," Hunter stammered in disbelief, wrapping her arm around Clarke's waist, her hand resting on her lower back. She winced in pain but didn't let go.

"Oh, sorry," Clarke apologized, moving to pull away when she heard Hunter's pain. But Hunter held on for a moment longer, causing Clarke to smile.

Hunter eventually released her and just gazed at Clarke's face. "How are you here? Where were you?" she inquired.

Clarke tilted her head. "It's just me."

Hunter looked down. "Where were you?" She glanced up at Clarke again.