human trials |✧

chapter twenty-five | the village & hunter

chapter twenty-five | the village & hunter↠ ↠ ↠

"I count 26," Finn reported as he and Murphy, both armed with rifles, scouted the grounder village before them. Hunter sat nearby, her gaze fixed on the village. Rain poured down, and the bandages on Hunter's hand were soaked, stained by her own blood.

"I've got 28," Murphy added. "These people don't look like warriors, Finn. And there are children and elderly. There's nothing significant here that could hold our friends," Murphy glanced at Hunter.

"They could be underground," Hunter said, her gaze never leaving the village. Finn turned to look at her.

"We'll wait until dark, then we'll go in," Finn decided.

"We go in? We don't even know if our people are here," Murphy protested, looking at Finn.

"They're here, or they were when that grounder took Clarke's watch," Hunter chimed in, her voice determined.

"What if we're too late, huh? They're probably already dead. We need to—" Murphy's words were cut off when Finn grabbed his shoulder.

"Take it easy," Finn urged.

"How much ammo do we have?" Finn asked. Hunter was about to respond but stopped herself, knowing that her determination wouldn't let her leave without finding her friends.

"I think I liked you better as a peacemaker," Murphy remarked.

↠ ↠ ↠

Nightfall arrived, and Murphy, Hunter, and Finn infiltrated the village. Hunter grabbed a log, using it as a torch. "What are you doing? This wasn't part of your plan," Murphy whispered.

"We're changing the plan," Hunter replied as she made her way to a shack containing their supplies. She threw the torch inside, igniting it. The trio quickly moved to cover. The grounders sounded a bell and attempted to extinguish the fire.

"A distraction? Not bad," Murphy smirked.

"Let's go," Finn ordered, leading the way. Murphy got momentarily distracted and nearly ran into a grounder, but Hunter grabbed his arm and pulled him in, saving him from detection. He looked at her before they both got up and sneaked to the other side of the camp. Thinking they were safe, they began moving again, but a grounder spotted them and called for help.

Murphy knocked the grounder unconscious with his rifle. "We need to run!" He reached for Hunter's hand, but she pulled away.

"We can't! They'll kill our people," she argued. Finn rushed over and grabbed the grounder, pushing his rifle against the man's head.

"They'll kill us!" Murphy pleaded.

Hunter drew her handgun, and they walked over to the group of grounders. Finn fired his rifle into the air. "Who's in charge here?" he called out. When no one responded, he pressed the grounder leader to his knees. "I'll ask again, who's in charge?"