unity day [2] |✧

chapter fifteen | peace talk & the bridge

chapter fifteen | peace talk & the bridge↠ ↠ ↠

Hunter and Finn proceeded toward the bridge, the designated meeting spot. Hunter discreetly dropped some rations from her pocket, ensuring Clarke and Bellamy could follow their trail and keep a watchful eye.

"You know," Hunter sighed, "I'd love for you to be right about this, but have you considered that it might be a trap?"

Finn acknowledged, "Yeah, I have. But because it's Unity Day, I've chosen to hold onto hope instead." He winced in pain as he descended a hill, and Hunter quickly caught up.

"Whoa, hey, let me take a look at that," Hunter said. They stopped, and Finn unzipped his jacket and lifted his shirt, revealing a badly bruised but healing wound. Hunter looked up at him, and for a moment, their eyes met, filled with unspoken longing.

Taking a deep breath, Hunter said, "Seriously, Finn, you're putting a lot of faith in a guy who stabbed you."

Finn zipped up his jacket and replied, "And you're starting to sound like Bellamy."

"Look, don't think I haven't forgiven Bellamy for what he did to me and Murphy, but right now, my priority is keeping us alive," Hunter explained.

Finn sighed and continued walking, and Hunter followed suit, dropping a few more rations along the way.

↠ ↠ ↠

As daylight broke, Finn and Hunter reached the bridge, where Octavia was waiting for them. Hunter suddenly realized, "So, that's how you set this up, isn't it?" It was clear that Octavia had a deep connection with the Grounder named Lincoln. "You helped him escape, didn't you?"

"I trust him, Hunter," Octavia pleaded. Hunter glanced at them both and remarked, "Seems like trust is in short supply these days."

There was movement in the trees ahead, and Finn noted, "Someone's coming." The Grounder, Lincoln, became visible as Octavia approached him. Hunter glanced to her side and saw Bellamy, Clarke, Jasper, and Raven, armed with guns. She couldn't help but sigh in disappointment. Lincoln and Octavia shared an intimate embrace before Lincoln coldly acknowledged Hunter, still remembering what she had done. Finn, worried about Hunter's safety, tightly grasped her hand.

The moment of tension was interrupted by the sound of approaching hooves. Two Grounders on black horses, with a woman dressed in Grounder attire between them, emerged. Hunter's eyes widened as she softly smiled and asked, "Are those... horses?"

Finn rushed over to Hunter while she held his hand. "We said no weapons!" Finn exclaimed.

Lincoln looked toward Anya, the Grounder leader, and said, "I was told there wouldn't be."

Hunter gazed at Finn and urged, "It's too late now." She decided it was time to engage in negotiations and, with Finn's reluctant agreement, they started walking forward.