unity day [1] |✧

chapter fourteen | celebration & unity juice

Today marked Unity Day, a momentous occasion when the Ark's population celebrated the day when all 12 stations united

Today marked Unity Day, a momentous occasion when the Ark's population celebrated the day when all 12 stations united. On the surface, it seemed like a day filled with hope and joy, a time for festivities and camaraderie. However, the true reason behind this unity was far from joyful – it was born out of the looming threat of war. Yet, despite this grim reality, most people chose to turn a blind eye to the past and enjoy a day of celebration, using it as an excuse to let loose.

It had been a few days since Hunter's eventful day trip, and she couldn't shake the fact that many of the delinquents regarded her as a leader, alongside Bellamy and Clarke. She had an innate talent for leadership, but her self-doubt made her fear she'd never be good enough. However, today had the potential to change that.

↠ ↠ ↠

The delinquents had constructed a makeshift radio and transmission tent, a vital link to the Ark via video transmission. Nearby, they had set up a small TV to watch the Unity Day Pageant. Some gathered around the TV, listening to Chancellor Jaha's speech, while Finn observed from a distance.

Hunter exited the dropship and approached Finn. She playfully nudged his shoulder, asking, "Don't tell me you're not a fan of Unity Day."

Finn turned his gaze toward her and replied, "Unity Day is built on a lie. The Ark only came together after the 13th station was destroyed. It's just not the version of history we like to tell each other at parties."

Hunter looked at Finn, briefly lowering her gaze. "Unity Day gives people hope, Finn. And sometimes, peace emerges from the ashes of violence."

Finn pondered her words. "Yeah, but did there need to be violence in the first place?"

Hunter took a deep breath, then turned her attention to the broadcast.

Jasper emerged from his and Monty's tent, exclaiming, "Whoo! Yeah! Monty strikes again!" He brandished a bottle of moonshine and rushed to the center of the camp. "Let's call this batch Unity Juice! Who's thirsty?" He poured glasses of moonshine for the eager crowd.

↠ ↠ ↠

As the night wore on, the celebration continued, fueled by copious amounts of alcohol. Clarke, Hunter, and others at their table engaged in a spirited game of Quarters.

"You're not going to make this one!" Clarke declared confidently.

Hunter retorted, "Yes, I am!"

Clarke smirked, saying, "No, it's just not happening!"

In the end, one of the delinquents made the final shot, meaning Hunter had to down a shot of moonshine. She accepted the challenge, lifted the glass, and emptied it in one go. "Yeah!"

"I heard the rumors were true, little miss badass knows how to party," one of the delinquents grinned.

Clarke inquired, "So, what's the plan when the guards come down and confiscate Monty's still?"

"We'll just build another one," the delinquent replied with a smile.

Hunter soon found herself next in line. She struggled to place the metal ring on her nose, exclaiming, "Oh, no, wait. I've done this before, I promise." She eventually succeeded in placing the ring and attempted to toss it into the tin. However, Finn unexpectedly caught it.

Hunter looked up at him and asked, "What is it?"

Finn replied, "Let's take a walk."

Hunter halted him, insisting, "Hey, I'm not going anywhere until you tell me what's going on."

Finn let out a sigh. "I've arranged a meeting with the Grounders."

"What? What kind of meeting? With whom? How?"

"I was with the Grounder we had in the dropship, Lincoln."

"Woah, wait a second. He spoke to you?"

"That's not important. But if we want to live in peace—"

"Finn, do you think we can live in peace with people who have done nothing but kill us?"

"Can you think of a better way to stop the bloodshed?"

Hunter looked down. "I'm not the only one you need to convince. You know that, right?"

"Do you think they really want a war? Because if we keep going like this, that's what's coming," Finn argued. "Look, I know it's a long shot, but this is our world now, and I think we can do better than last time. I trust him."

"I don't," Hunter admitted. "But I trust you, even though I know I shouldn't. So, by saying that, we have to bring backup."

"No way. We are not bringing guns. Those weren't the terms. If we're going to do this, we need to give it a fair shot."

Hunter sighed. "Okay. Okay, I'll get my pack, and I'll meet you at the gate."

She then gathered Clarke and Bellamy, explained everything, and tried to persuade them to respect Finn's conditions and not bring weapons. Ultimately, they refused to relent. However, Hunter believed she had at least partially convinced them. She grabbed her pack and met Finn at the gate, unaware that Bellamy had assembled a team with weapons, planning to observe from a distance.

My god has it been a long time since I wrote something. I missed it so much.
There's like a whole reason behind the incredibly slow & long updates. And if you guys are interested I can post a chapter explaining what is happening. So let me know!

Even though this is not the best chapter, I promise the next chapters will get better! I'm in love with Riley, and her story. It is going to take time to get to the good parts, but I'll be worth it.

I love you guys, thank you so much for waiting!

♡