Chapter 8

Y/n's POV

It took a while for us to find the church on Jay Mountain, but we finally found it. Every window and door was blocked by wooden planks, so we took down a few to get in.

When we finally got in, I went exploring everywhere inside the church. After a few seconds of exploring, I heard a loud screech. This caused me to jump and hug Ponyboy.

"What was that?" I asked.

"Just an owl," Pony told me as he took me to an area to lay down and rest.

After we got settled and laid down on the ground, I started to get tired again. Everything was silent until Ponyboy broke the silence.

"Johnny?" Pony asked.

"Yeah?" Johnny responded.

"You all right?" Pony then asked Johnny. Johnny didn't respond back to his question, which caused Ponyboy to look up at him. Johnny already had his eyes closed,so that must have meant that he was really tired. "Man, this floor sure is hard," Ponyboy then said to himself as he put his arm around me and went to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was dreaming about me being at home with my brothers. Waking up on a school day, Soda carrying me out of bed, and having breakfast with the rest of the gang. Everything felt like it was a normal day, until a loud voice interrupted my sleep.

"Johnny!?"

My eyes fluttered open and I saw that Ponyboy was sitting up and looking at his surroundings. He then notices me awake.

"Sorry, Y/n. Did I wake you?" Pony asked me.

"No, not really. I actually felt like getting up right now," I told him. I then look down to see some words on the ground. "Pony, look," I told him as I pointed to the words.

Ponyboy looks at the direction I pointed to and saw them as well. It said "Be back soon." I bet Johnny wrote that.

"It looks like it's just you and me, Y/n," Ponyboy told me as he stood up. I then stood up and followed him outside.

We then go to the water pump and wash up. As I was just finishing up,  I felt Ponyboy grab my arm and ran down some stairs that lead to who knows what.

"Why are we hiding?" I asked him.

"Shh, someone's coming," Ponyboy told me.

I then started to hear a pair of footsteps getting closer. I then heard someone whistling a tune. I recognized that whistle and knew that it was Johnny.

I then see him walk past the stairs we were hiding in while holding a box full of stuff. He then stops and looks down at us. I quickly run up to him while Ponyboy follows.

"Hey, Johnny! Fancy...Fancy meeting you here," Ponyboy said as he tripped and fell to the ground.

"You're acting more like Two-Bit every day, huh?" Johnny said.

"Who's acting?  What did you get?" Ponyboy asked Johnny.

"Let's go inside, man. Dally told us to stay inside," Johnny the said as we made our way inside the church.

Johnny the set everything on a table and started taking stuff out of the box he was holding.

"Right, I got a loaf of bread, and a week's supply of baloney here. Peanut butter," Johnny said as he took more stuff out. Ponyboy then took out a book from the box.

"'Gone With The Wind'? Johnny, how did you know I wanted 'Gone With The Wind'?" Pony asked Johnny.

"I remember you saying something about it once. Me, Y/n, and you went to see that movie, remember? I thought maybe you could read it out loud. Help kill time," Johnny stated.

"Thanks a lot, Johnny," Ponyboy said as he put his hand on Johnny's shoulder. We then continued to take out a few more stuff out of the box.

"Cigarettes."

"A deck of cards."

"Peroxide?" Ponyboy then asked as he held the peroxide bottle. He then looked at Johnny with a suspicious look. "You ain't thinking..."

"We're gonna cut our hair, Ponyboy. You're gonna bleach yours. We can't fit descriptions in the newspaper," Johnny said. I kind of didn't like the idea of cutting my hair.

"No, sir. You ain't gonna touch my hair," Pony then said as he sat down on a chair.

"You have to anyway, if we got caught. You know the first thing the judge does is make you get a haircut," Johnny told him.

"I don't see why," Pony said.

"I don't either," Johnny said.

"Me neither," I then said.

"It's just the way they're trying to break us," Johnny then stated as he went behind Ponyboy and took out his knife. "Y/n and I are gonna cut ours off, too, and wash all the grease out," Johnny said. I guess I didn't have a choice.

"No, sir, you ain't touching my hair," Ponyboy then said.

"Ponyboy, it's gonna grow back, man. It's not that it won't," Johnny stated.

"Go ahead," Ponyboy then said, allowing Johnny to cut his hair with the knife.

Let's just say, it looked painful.

Timeskip

Well, I was right. It was painful. The first time Johnny cut a few strands of my hair, I tried to escape him. Ponyboy literally had to hold me in order for Johnny to cut my hair. (If your hair is short, then pretend that they didn't cut your hair.)

But in the end, I saw how I looked and I looked pretty. I'm just going to have to get used to my hair being short.