Chapter 4

Y/n's POV

As we were walking, we were chatting with each other, mostly about our brothers. As we continued chatting, I saw a pair of headlights coming from a blue mustang.

"Marcia!" Cherry warned her.

"Oh, look who's coming. What are we gonna do?" Marcia asked.

"Just act normal. Just keep calm," Cherry said.

"Who are these clowns?" Two-bit asked.

"Y/n, get behind me," Ponyboy told me. I then stood behind him as two people got out of the car.

"Cherry! What's going on? What are you doing?" I heard someone ask. Cherry didn't respond to him. "Just because we got a little drunk doesn't mean you have--" The guy said, but got cut off by Cherry.

"A little? You call reeling and passing out on the streets 'a little'? Bob, I've told you before, I'm never going out with you when you're drinking and I mean it!" Cherry told the guy, which I assume is Bob.

"That's no reason to go walk on the streets with these bums," The other guy said. I then peeked my head from behind Ponyboy to see who they look like. Bob was a short blonde haired boy wearing a red and green stripe-like shirt. The other guy had short brown hair and was wearing a red buttoned up shirt with a white collared shirt underneath it.

"Who you calling bums, pal?" Two-bit asked him.

"You!" The red-shirted guy said as he pulled Marcia away from us.

"Randy!" She said to the red-shirted guy, which I assume is Randy.

"Listen, we got two more of us in the back seat," Randy said, trying to threaten Two-bit. But what Two-bit did was that he broke a glass bottle that he had--for some reason-- and gave it to Ponyboy and then got out his blade.

"Pity the back seat!" Two-bit said as he held his blade out in front of him.

"If you're looking for a fight--" Randy said, but then got cut off by Two-bit.

"I am looking for a fight!" Two-bit said.

"Come on! Put the knife down!"

"Let's go right now!"

"Come on!"

"Right now!" They all started shouting to each other. I stepped back a bit so that I wouldn't be involved with this. Johnny put his arm around my shoulder and brought me closer to him. I also noticed that he tried no to make eye contact with the Soc that wore rings, also known as Bob.

"All right! We'll go with you! Just wait a minute!" Cherry told them.

"Why, we ain't scared of these bastards!" Two-bit said.

"I hate fights, all right?! I hate 'em!" Cherry said. She then pulled Ponyboy somewhere a bit further from us. "Come here, Ponyboy," Cherry said.

After a few minutes of Cherry talking to Ponyboy, she and Marcia went with the Socs. Two-bit then put away his blade as they drove away.

So we continued to walk home and started to chat.

"Boy, those are two of the best-looking girls I've ever seen," Two-bit stated. I then got curious and asked him a question.

"Am I a best-looking girl?" I asked him.

"You sure are," He replied as he ruffled my hair.

I then saw Two-bit put something in his mouth and then spit it out.

"What was that?" Ponyboy asked.

"Marcia's number. Probably a phoney one, too. I must have been out of my mind to ask for it. Girl like that would never go out with me anyway," Two-bit said as we made it to Johnny's house. Through the window, we could see Johnny's parent's fighting.

"Where are y'all going?" Two-bit then asked.

"Home," Pony said as, for some reason, a hat flew right by me.

"Whoa! Here! I got me a new hat!" Two-bit said as he placed it on his head. He looked funny with it, so I giggled.

"I don't know why I handed you that busted bottle. You never would have used it," Two-bit said, referring to the time when the Socs showed up.

"I might have. Where you headed?" Pony asked.

"I don't know. Maybe I'll go play snooker or get drunk. I'll see you later!" Two-bit said, and then left. I don't know why he likes to get drunk.

"Ok!" Ponyboy said.

"I hate when my folks are fighting. Let's go to the Lot," Johnny said. Ponyboy then grabbed my hand and then we walked to the Lot.

Once we got there, I sat down next to Pony while Johnny started a fire. He then stood up and sat next to me as I leaned against Ponyboy.

"It was because we're Greasers, Pone. Might have hurt her reputation or something, that's all. Don't worry about it," Johnny told Pony.

"Yeah, I guess so," Ponyboy the said. We all then looked up at the stars and I saw how beautiful they were.

"Man, that was a tuff car, huh?" Johnny said. "Mustangs, they're tuff," He added.

"Big-time Socs, all right. It's always the same," Ponyboy said as he got up and laid near the fire.

As I stayed at the bench with Johnny, I heard him starting to hyperventilate.

"I can't take much more of this, Ponyboy! I'll...I'll kill myself or something! I don't know!" Johnny said. I then leaned into him to try and comfort him. Then Ponyboy came and joined me.

"Don't talk like that, Johnny. Come on, you can't kill yourself," Ponyboy said as Johnny started crying.

"I've gotta do something. Oh, God. It seems...It seems like there's gotta be someplace without Greasers and Socs. There must be someplace...with just plain ordinary people," Johnny said as we leaned back against the bench and looked at the stars.

"It's like that out in the country. Away from all the big towns. Out in the country," Ponyboy said. That was the last thing I heard as I fell asleep.