Chapter Twenty Two

Chapter Twenty Two

Lienna

When Thor saw the beautiful ring on my finger, his face fell. When he saw Loki kiss my cheek, and then my lips, his face paled. When Loki made the announcement, he left the dining room.

My heart hurt a bit for the God of Thunder, but I chose to be happy for myself for just a few hours, at the least. I could worry about Thor's troublesome lovelife later.

Frigga congratulated us with a suggestive wink towards me, which brought a red tint to my cheeks, but I took it as a compliment. Odin nodded approvingly, and all was well. Little girls and boys, children of the nobles who visited for meals, surrounded me with intrusive questions that perfectly described the innocence of youth. They made me smile.

Anette was even allowed to attend the royalty dinners, upon my request, and she often gathered with the other children. My heart swelled with joy to know that she was happy.

"Are you two in love? " a little boy, no more than four years of age questioned.

I laughed. "Yes, of course."

He made a disgusted face. "Love means being nice and kissing, and that's gross."

Other little boys chorused their agreement, while the girls shushed them.

A little girl popped up. "Have you kissed?"

Loki, who hadn't been paying much attention until now, chose to answer her question by turning around and kissing me by surprise.

"Aww!" the little girls sang.

Some of the older boys cringed.

One of the older boys stepped toward me. "How did Prince Loki get a beautiful girl like you to fall in love with him? He's really scary."

I burst out laughing as Loki blushed.

"He's not that scary, just a bit sneaky and annoying at times," I replied slyly.

Loki glared at me. "Annoying? I am not, well, at least not to you! As for being sneaky, I'd have to agree," he responded. "You're also a bit oblivious."

I frowned. I was not about to back down from a fight. "I may be oblivious, but at least I can talk to you without blushing!"

"Oh, Lienna, maybe if you weren't so pretty, I could focus."

"So Silvertongue loses his cool every once in a while?" I shot back.

"At least I don't trip walking down the stairs!"

"Oh, that's cold!" I smirked. "Just like someone I know."

He gaped at me with an astounded smile. Then, Loki ran his cold hand down my arm and tickled me.

I laughed. "Alright, alright, you win!"

Loki bit his lip with a proud grin.

"Love is weird," one child whispered. Loki and I burst into laughter, and one by one the children joined.

The evening slowly wound down and the children ran off to go to bed. Loki and I lay entertwined in my room in front of a beautiful, crackling fire.

My hot cheek was pressed against Loki's cool chest, a blissful action. He would occasionally kiss the top of my head, and with each kiss, new shimmering images floated through my mind. Sometimes the shimmering lights formed familiar shapes. My ring. Loki's smile. The beautiful embroidered glove that covers my synthetic hand.

Each one soothes my mind, and eradicates the anxious thoughts that plague my brain. Recently, the panicking thoughts had become severe, and Loki had noticed. Coincidentally, I had frequently noticed Loki's gentle presence in my mind whenever I felt anxious.

Those simple actions had really meant alot to me; they were perfect examples of how we are intertwined.

They showed love. They showed thoughtfulness. They showed affection in the unaffectionate bones of Loki.

He chuckled quietly. I silently cursed. He could hear my thoughts.

I love you, the shimmering image said, or rather, made me feel.

I love you too, I thought.

××××××

Sorry for the late update but I think it makes up for itself.