Chapter One

Chapter One

Lienna

"Congratulations!" a handmaiden crooned with a false smile. All of the servants knew we were arranged to be married long before Svendrel broached the subject to us officially.

I nodded my thanks before Ander could pull me into another one of his kisses. The crowd cheered at our small display of affection. I quickly pulled away, though Ander didn't notice. They were never terrible kisses; I just couldn't tell if they were right. I couldn't even tell if I loved Ander. He was definitely attractive, no doubts there. Tall and strapping, with a brilliant smile and a charming personality. We were nearly the same, good looking, having been proposed to and courted by many.

"Lienna, are you happy to have our secret out?" Ander whispered to me. His chocolate eyes met my gray ones for reassurance, as they had been doing ever since his mother disappeared.

I flashed my happiest smile to him, tousling his auburn hair. "Of course!"

He breathed a silent sigh of relief, one that only I would notice. Ander was always insecure, seeking approval in almost everything he did or said. Sometimes I pitied him, sometimes I helped him. Then he turned to his father, releasing me for a few precious moments. I had to move quickly or else I'd be pelted in more surprise kisses, or worse, questions on our marriage.

Finally I escaped the party crowd and ducked into the warm kitchen.

"Coming to spy on the princes one last time before you're married, ay Lienna?" the cook, Maria, cackled.

My cheeks turned red. That actually was why I was coming in here; a habitual thing that whenever I was stressed, I'd watch the princes sneak out. I had been doing it since the first night I came. "You caught me, Maria. I guess I haven't broken my old habits."

"Oh, it's alright, dear. I promise not to tell Ander," she winked. "Are you excited?"

I sighed. "I'm excited, but I... I don't even know if I'm ready for marriage, even to Ander."

"Ah, bridal crisis. My daughter was the same way. It'll go away once you've got a few kids."

I nearly choked on my water. I hadn't even thought about that.

Maria hobbled over to me. "I'm sorry, deary. But you can trust me, you'll be alright." Then she walked out. That was usually what you got from Maria. Vague advice and strange laughs. Everyone loved her for it.

I turned back to the window to look at the golden glowing palace. Horses were being saddled out in the front. Strange, I thought. No one at the palace ever rode past dinner time.

Then Svendrel bounded in to the kitchen. "My dear! Why are you not with Ander?"

"I was thirsty, Baron."

"Then have a slave get you a drink. And call me Svendrel, or if you'd like, Father." Then he skipped out of the kitchen. I sighed. There was no escape for me.

I walked back out to the party, which had considerably lessened in population. Ander found me quickly.

"Are you tired, Lienna? We can go to bed if you'd like," Ander offered.

I did want to go to bed. Just not with Ander on my tail. Unfortunately, it was the better option. I nodded.

"One last kiss for the crowd?" Ander asked. Before I could say no, his lips were on mine. I could hear men whistling and women clapping. Ander was certainly not lacking in passion for me, that was obvious. As soon as he finished the kiss, he swept me off my feet and carried me to his room bridal style.

I changed in the privacy of the bathroom, though Ander had seen me naked any number of times when we were kids. Ander was without a shirt as I came back, displaying his toned chest without a care. I decided that I had better get used to it. There was no escaping our marriage unless by some miracle, Odin broke the engagement. Which would never happen. Odin didn't pay much mind to barons or their families.

Ander smiled at me sweetly, so unknowing. It was too much. Tears rolled down my cheeks.

"Oh, Lienna." Ander held out his arms and I collapsed into them. "I know this is hard, love. We'll be okay."

I debated telling him I didn't want to be married yet, but I couldn't. It would break his heart.

"I know we're young for marriage, Lienna, but I promise you that I'll make it okay for you." It was almost like he knew, and that made me sob harder. He lifted me up and cradled me in his strong arms. He slowly rocked me to sleep, then laid me in his bed.

As my dreams rolled on, I felt better and better about my engagement. But there was still a lingering hesitation.

××××××

A cold hand clamped over my mouth. My eyes shot open and I tried to scream.

"Quiet, girl!" a menacing voice hissed. "You'll wake the boy, then we'll have a problem!"

"Lienna, listen to him. I'll explain later." The new voice was Svendrel. I had no choice but to allow it.

The man helped me out of bed and in to the corridor. He was wearing palace attire. Svendrel was wearing his nicest clothing. Something strange was happening.

They led me to the front room of the manor where guards and palace men stood.

One gestured toward me. "This is her?"

Svendrel nodded sadly.

The man touched my cheek, and I flinched. "She's beautiful. No wonder she was Chosen."

I kept my mouth shut even though questions and shouts of outrage were boiling up inside me.

"Daughter of Moren, member of the house of Svendrel, you have been Chosen to go to the palace."

My eyes widened. I was going to the palace. For what?

"Once you arrive at the palace, you will be given a room, clothing, and a stylist who will prep you. We will explain more once we arrive."

"Svendrel! You can't allow this! I am engaged to be married!" I cried indignantly.

Grim expressions replaced every man's blank face.

Svendrel placed a hand on my shoulder. "Lienna, this is an order of Odin. I cannot change it."

"But what about Ander?"

"What is going on? Why do you have my fiancee?" Ander yelled.

I tried to run to Ander, but the guards held me tight.

"Ander, Lienna has been Chosen." Svendrel stated.

Ander's face fell. He walked up to me and cupped my face in his hand. "Lienna, whatever you do, don't fall in love." Then he kissed my forehead.

What? my mind cried. I was confused. What does Chosen mean? Chosen for what?

Ander let go, tears in his eyes. The guards pulled my limp body outside.

"It's a good thing she's so pretty," one man said to a guard. "She's going have trouble being picked with that attitude.

That remark stung, but I was too scared to say anything. The guard that held me placed me behind a man on a horse. We rode all the way to the palace in silence.

They acted like I should be celebrating, but this felt more and more like a funeral procession.