Chapter Nineteen

Magsimula sa umpisa

But still, here he was, trying to sort through the madness that was his family.

Lee Yong-jae was still the main problem however.

He stood with his arms crossed, facing his brother. Most of the old, wealthy men had taken his side. He had probably promised them loads of money if they did so.

Most of the people there had taken Yongbok's side, where the will had clearly stated that everything was his. Still, Yong-jae and his men were persistent, claiming that Yongbok had brainwashed their father, or forced him to pass everything to him. This didn't matter though. Not as soon as the King showed up.

"All bow before His Majesty, King Lee Minhyuk!"

Everyone in the room immediately sank into a low bow, their foreheads touching the floor. The King stalked into the room, followed by old Adviser Bae and Lord Jooheon, along with their servants and eunuchs. King Lee held his head high and surveyed the people around him. His eyes landed on Yongbok and immediately softened.

"Lee Yongbok, come with me outside. Let's take a walk. I haven't seen you in some time."

"Yes, your majesty," Yongbok stood from the ground and followed after his older cousin, his head bowed.

Once they had gotten outside, King Lee put his hand on Yongbok's shoulder. "I'm glad you got back unharmed. Come, let us walk!"

Leaving everyone else inside the hall, the two royal men walked up a long path that led to a nearby lake that all the princes used to swim in when they were younger. Both men knew this path well.

"Is my brother well?" King Lee asked, sweeping his long robes behind him.

Yongbok nodded. "Yes, he is fine. But, I dare say he misses you, Your Majesty."

The king sighed. "I know. Is he healthy?"

"Yes, very healthy. The same as when he left."

"Good, good..." the king slowed. "First, let's settle your manner. I know that my younger cousin does not wish for you to inherit all of your father's things. I will make sure that you do, without further questions."

"Thank you, Your Majesty!" Yongbok bowed, his hands held out in front of him respectfully.

King Lee nodded. "Then, I wish to tell you the truth."

Yongbok glanced up as they began walking once more. "The truth? Have you lied to me, Your Majesty?"

"No, no... not really anyway. I just didn't tell the full truth. Not so much to you... but to Minho."

Yongbok nodded. "And what would that be, Your Majesty?"

"I did send you to the Han Kingdom in order to achieve peace... but there is something that both princes do not know..."

Yongbok stayed silent, waiting.

"By the end of next month, Prince Lee Minho and Han Jisung will be married."

Yongbok nearly fainted. "What?"

The king sighed. "I'm sure this will sound foreign to your ears but I must make sure that peace is kept between our kingdoms. Master Kang of the Han Kingdom has agreed, and Han Jisung's parents as well, before he died. Well, his parents, if they had known that they would die. Anyway, I plan to join our kingdoms together. And to do so," the king gulped. "I have sacrificed Minho's happiness."

Yongbok stared at him in shock. "You mean... for Prince Minho and Prince Jisung to... marry?"

"Yes."

"But Your Majesty! They are both men!"

"I am aware of that!"

"They can not have children!"

"Yes, I am also aware of that!"

"And those are not problems?"

"They are not problems at the moment. We are lucky that we have an older sister. Princess Ji-eun's eldest son will most likely become the next king after I die. That is, he or you."

"Me?"

"Yes."

"No. I'm sorry Your Majesty, but I can't!"

King Lee Minhyuk looked shocked. "Why? Is there something wrong?"

"I- I-"

"What?"

"I just can't!" Yongbok spit out, shaking slightly as his mind whirled. "I... I can not have children..."

"What? Are you sick? Did something happen?" King Lee Minhyuk glanced down to Yongbok's northern region. "Did you-?"

"No! No! Nothing of the sort, Your Majesty!" Yongbok said frantically. "It's just that I-"

"Calm down, Yongbok. Tell me slowly..."

Yongbok closed his mouth and took a long, deep breath, closing his eyes. He just let himself breathe for a few moments before he opened his eyes. "Thank you, for the offer Your Majesty, but I must turn it down, for I can not marry a woman and have kids with her as necessary to follow in line as king after you."

King Lee Minhyuk blinked slowly. "And why is that?"

Prince Lee Yongbok turned and looked the king straight in the eyes, as most people would never dare to do. "Because, Your Majesty, I love a man."

Thank you so much for reading! See you next chapter!