Jessabel's mind reeled. How on Earth was she supposed to do that? And how on Earth would any this lead to Nathan?

Peter seemed to have a pathway to her mind, answering her unspoken question. "The more we know about her, the more we know what she's capable of, the more chances we have of finding Nathan. Trust me on this, Jesabel."

"I do," she answered. And she did. She really did.

***

Jess could only think of one way to do this. And that was to search Rhea Griffin's home.

She could only do so with the help of Clyde. Jessabel walked up the steps of the police department once more, weary to the bone with leads and evidence and nightmares that morphed into dreams that morphed into nightmares. She could barely sleep a wink without being jerked into a dream she didn't want to be part of, or a nightmare she didn't want to relive.

Renee had taken over her, body and soul.

No, not Renee. Rhea.

In order to search the house legally, the two of them must ask permission from Theodore in order to use a warrant to enter his home. If they had been part of the police force, the two of them could have waltzed into the mansion and turned it upside down. But since they weren't part of the FBI, and they were conducting this investigation privately, consent from the owner of the house was needed before breaking in. Convincing Ted to let his house be searched was going to be the most difficult task.

Another difficult task, it turned out, was asking to speak with Ted in private a second time.

"No," the woman denied us entry, shaking her head. "Sorry, ma'am. We only warrant an hour of private visit, and according to our records your hour has been maxed out."

Despair filled Jessabel right to brim, and she was about to plead with the woman, ready to get on her knees and throw away whatever dignity she had left.

"They're with me."

Jessabel turned around sharply as was faced with the same officer who had handed her that strange card. The card was still sitting in her back pocket, untouched and useless. With a jolt, she suddenly realised who the officer really was.

"Officer Lilley," she breathed. Tamara's father. The man who had lost everything – his daughter, his son, his wife – all to Rhea. Rhea had taken his life just as she'd taken mine.

Without another word at the protesting police woman, Officer Lilley led them through the maze of corridors, metal gates and detectors that was the Alistair Police Department. Jess briefly wondered if he was allowed to disobey his orders, but later realised that she didn't really care. This man, an unlikely saviour at a time of darkness, had offered a helping hand.

But why?

They were eventually led to Ted's cell, unlike any other times when we had been allowed to use an interrogation room. He looked just as bad as Jessabel feared, and the bleakness in his eyes was what killed her.

"Thank you," Clyde said.

Officer Lilley nodded. "You're welcome. Though I warn you that I must stay here at all times. Any talk of this investigation might be overheard by a certain officer of the law."

Jess froze, staring at the man with wide eyes. He knew. He has always known.

And if he knew, then just how many others did?

He chuckled once at their expressions. "The department doesn't know. Only I do. All I ask is to be of assistance to this case. The police themselves are getting very little done, and I want this girl found as much you do."