[17] the forgotten nuns.

Start from the beginning

A weight lifted from her chest and shoulders. Since they were still on the same side, she saw no harm in telling him about Victoria. With his help, they could find the woman faster and use whatever "escape plan" he had.

Before she could tell him, Catherine stepped between them. "I think it's best if you two stop talking and listen to what the other bishops are saying."

Oli glanced at Wolf, and he stuck his tongue out. She chuckled. Idiot. Focusing on the bishops, they were planning who would sit where in the cathedral.

It had an old school architecture—Victorian age if she was to guess—the type only seen in history books because modern churches operated in buildings made of unbreakable glass. Its heavy iron-bound door acted as the entrance and exit, and a high, arched window with stained glass covered each wall. A bell hung in a tower on the roof surrounded by statues of angels kissing the foreheads of three statue nuns.

Eight nuns in purple habits and white veils patrolled the roof, carrying plasma rifles.

If Oli was to escape, their height advantage would prove a threat. She needed a weapon that could take them out quickly.

The bishops led them inside, the woody smell of incense filling the room, making Oli cough. It was a bit too much. Candleholders with lit candles coated the walls and chandeliers swung from above, giving light to the room.

The sitting area had wooden benches facing a high altar in the northwest, divided into two sides, leaving a wide passage between them. The stained glass windows around them had a mural of a brown-skinned man with dark curly hair, brown eyes, and a full beard: Jesus Christ.

Oli had learned about Him in the mandatory Religious Studies in high school. In the old world, He was depicted as a white-skinned man with blue eyes and blonde hair. But as His worshippers learned the truth about Him, and the history of Nazareth and its people, they fought the whitewashing and demanded His true nature be shown as a sign of respect to His people and them.

The Holy Order agreed.

Those that were used to Him having white skin protested across the system, demanding for Him to be returned to His original form, but failing miserably.

Oli sat on one end of the last row. Unfortunately, her teenage roommates took the seats next to her. Searching for Wolf, she caught him on the opposite end. He smiled and waved at her, and she shook her head in response. Idiot.

"Everyone rise," one of the bishops said, and they all stood.

The Forgotten Nuns walked out of the entrance opposite the benches and stood at the altar, dressed in gold habits that camouflaged their gold skins, and large gold headpieces that looked like the ears of a lombax. There were three of them: Sister Mary—the delusional leader, Sister Ophelia—the deranged tactician, and Sister Patricia—the merciless executioner.

The bishops ordered the newcomers to stand and clap for the sisters. With everyone's attention on them, Oli spotted Wolf sneaking into the hall The Forgotten Nuns came from.

Wah is he thinking? She looked around to see if anyone had spotted the idiot, but everyone had their backs to him. She sighed in relief. He'll git me killed. They had arrived in the same car. Whatever they would accuse him of doing, she would be liable as an accomplice.

Sister Mary stepped forward, standing over six-foot-six with a muscular body that exceeded that of a bodybuilder. "Newcomers, I welcome you to our lovely home. I hope your stay has been wonderful these last twelve hours. My name is Sister Mary, and hopefully, after tonight, we shall be the same." She smiled, but her dull red eyes showed she didn't believe nor care about what came out of her mouth.