Chapter three

I rushed into my apartment somewhat tranquil after meeting the beautiful lady next door, but also somewhat rushed. I walked to the central room, taking off my robe and placing it down on the couch. I felt a hand grab my wrist tightly and soon enough pain struck up my arm as I was turned around face to face with Barrie.
"Barrie, honey, I was just out going for the newspaper" I tried my best to cover it up, but he could tell when I was lying no matter how hard I tried. He shook his head, a cold chuckle released from his lips as he moved his hand up to my neck. I placed my hand over his, breathing calmly hoping he wouldn't tighten his grip.
"Don't lie to me liz, where were you?"
No answer. I felt the words begging to burst out of my mouth but I sat there quiet.
"What am I not good enough for you?" He asked. I looked him in his eyes and shook my head, trying my best to carefully remove his hands from my neck.
"No sweetie, I'm sorry. It won't happen again I promise" I gave him a reassuring smile and nodded, taking his hand in mine and kissing him on the cheek gently. His features softened and he smiled a little.
"I love you, Lizzy."
"I love you too" I replied relieved, saving myself from the pain he would have caused me.
The next few weeks went on pretty smoothly, I had been staying in the house while Barrie goes to work. Marina hasn't spoken to me since. Well that's a lie, she's tried many times to talk to me but for my own safety I stayed away. Her boyfriend was ver intimidating, always standing outside her door just staring in blank space, sipping a beer. I tried staying cautious of him, I did, but his eyes seemed to follow you everywhere like the old painting down in the lobby. Barrie and I haven't had a fight since that day, we have been getting along more and he doesn't take an hour of everyday explaining what it means to teach me a lesson. He holds my hands rather than leaving cuts on my face. Bruises have now disappeared; as he kisses them now before we go to bed and tells me how sorry he is. So yeah, Id say everything was going well. But the day the hurricane hit was all downhill from there and all though nobody says anything, I could see it in their eyes they'd wish it'd never happened.