Chapter 3

THOUGH THE VIEW OF the New York skyline was breathtaking, Mark stared into K’s eyes. He couldn’t remember when she’d looked more beautiful. He reached into his pocket and pulled out her gift, then placed it on the table and slid it toward her with a smile.

“Oh, Mark, honey, you shouldn’t have. All I need tonight is you.” Her eyes sparkled as she untied the red bow. The lid of the narrow, black box made a faint popping sound as she opened it.

K gasped. “It’s beautiful.” She lifted an intricate, silver chain from the silk lining. The diamond pendant suspended from the necklace caught the moonlight and twinkled a response.

He moved to her side of the table to kneel behind her chair and hook the necklace for her. Nuzzling her ear, he whispered, “This has been the most wonderful five years of my life, sweetheart. Never in all my wildest dreams did I think marriage would be this good.”

She nodded, tears glistening on her eyelashes. “Me, too.”

He kissed her shoulder, then pulled her to her feet. They embraced for a long, tender moment. His cheek against hers, he murmured, “Dance with me, my love?”

A string quartet played softly in the background as they danced, holding each other close. The balcony of The Leaf sat fifteen floors above the city and overlooked Brooklyn Bridge. All around the terrace, orange flames flickered from tall torches. His wife’s soft skin glowed in the firelight. Despite the cool breeze, he felt warm and content holding her in his arms. He was the luckiest man in the world.

After Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata ended, they joined hands and walked to the edge of the balcony. The city was alive with the lights that filled the sky around them, making the stars pale in comparison.

“Thank you for five wonderful years,” whispered K. “And for tonight. This has been an incredible evening.” She leaned her head on his shoulder.

He felt a shiver vibrate through her body. “Are you cold?”

“Just a little.” The weather was warm, but a gentle wind off the East River cooled their skin.

“I’ll get the check and be right back. I have another surprise for you.” He hurried off to find the waiter.

After taking care of the bill, Mark wrapped his arm around his wife and hurried her down the elevator to the lobby. Their car was waiting for them at the entrance to the restaurant.

As soon as he got behind the wheel, she tugged on his arm. “Where are we going?”

He grinned. “You’ll see when we get there.”

She pretended to pout, a look he always loved. Before he pulled into traffic, he kissed her long and hard, silencing her protests.

The streets were busy, but then again, it was Friday night in New York City. He’d booked the Hilton Garden Inn, the hotel where they’d spent their wedding night before heading to California for their honeymoon. He couldn’t wait to see K’s reaction when she realized he’d booked the same room they’d shared their first night of marriage.

As they drove up in front of the fourteen-story, stucco-and-glass building, the valet, a thin-faced, grade-school-looking kid, took the keys and delivered the car to the parking garage. K giggled as she clutched Mark’s hand and pulled him up the stairs and into the front lobby. “Mark, you sneak. How did you get us a room? They’re always booked.”

“Not just a room. I got our room!”

She smacked his arm with her purse.

He grinned and deflected the blow. K was to blame for Sam’s energy—and her orneriness.