the family

[okay so this is like the OG version of the 'dear superman'. it was, similarly, written for a competition. i liked the the latter one better but after rereading this, it didn't entirely suck so i am posting this.

enjoy! (and also comment and give this soft bb some validation. it's been so long since i posted my writing anywhere.)

and on a completely unrelated note, would anyone like to read an original story that has an awkward fmc x a very cute boy?]

Dear superman, 

Bhaiya, I have been wondering what would be a good way to start this letter because the thing is, there is a lot to say and no words to express what I want to say. Words have never been my strong suit and I don’t know how to tell you what you mean to me. 

Today marks an important day in my life and today, I want to acknowledge what a big part you play in my life. If I were food, you would be the salt. Without you, I’ll be incomplete and tasteless. 

You, bhaiya, are the reason I am the most spoiled child. It’s not because are parents are rich that I have never seen any trouble, it’s because of your kindness, your love, your want to make everyone happy around you. In ways, you are my second father. For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to be you. I have always looked up to you, the boy who knew how to act maturely when times required him to be and when to crack a joke. 

I perfectly remember how you would smirk when I told mum that we had extra classes on Valentine’s day and even though you would blackmail me about it, you always covered up when I asked you too. I always come running to you when I mess up and you fix me with this stern look--and I quote--”for god’s sake I am helping you this time, Rudra.” But you always do. I used to think it was my puppy face that made you cave in but it’s always your love. It’s always been your love. 

I have no freaking idea what I did in my past life to be blessed with you but I must have done a lot of good things. You are my rock, my friend, my best 3 am buddy, my everything. I don’t think I would know what to do without you and honestly, I don’t want to imagine us without you. 

You are the thread that holds all the beads of our family together. We would break without you. 

You may call me dumb and stupid most of times (yes, I know I am stupid, no need to remind me, thanks -.-) but you love me. And I want you to know I love you too. With everything that I have. I don’t even know how to put in words what you mean to me but honestly, all I can say is I am where I am because of you and I am who I am because of you. 

You may be strict, stoic and a little cruel sometimes (I am talking about the time you told Anika bhabhi I stole her nutella jar) but I love you all the same. 

Here’s to my superman! 

Yours truly, 

With purest love, 

Ru ♡

P.S--Can you believe that I am getting married??!! Because I honestly can’t!!!!!!

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

Shivaay wiped the corner of his eyes when he looked at his brothers arguing over if Om was even tying the turban right or not. He sniffled softly as he remembered the letter and all he could think was my baby has grown up. It seemed as if yesterday Shivaay had taught him the art of playing football. And yet at the same time those moments felt far away, so, so far away. 

Shivaay closed his eyes, feeling the tears of nostalgia burn behind his eyes. Hold it together. Don’t cry. 

Exhaling softly, Shivaay approached Omkara and nodded, stepping up to tie the safa around Rudra’s head instead. “Do you remember how you used to skip showers sometimes even though you reeked of sweat?” It earned a few chuckles from his brother. “Those days are gone now, baby brother. I can’t wait to see Soumya whoop your ass.” 

Inside, he was screaming I am not ready to watch you grow up. Can you stop? I want you to be my little brother always. 

Rudra grumbled. “I hate how true that sounds.” 

“I always thought you would never stop your player ways Rudra. I always imagined Shivaay to be drowning in work, not caring about woman, me to be too hung up on Ridhima and you to be the same player you were. Never thought we all would get settled. It all feel so foreign, nah?” Om mused softly. 

“Yeah, it does. Marriage wasn’t on my to-do list so early,” Shivaay contributed to the conversation. 

“Neither was it on mine. Love does that to you I guess. It changes us.” 

“But what isn’t changing is this.” Omkara said, pulling the both of them in a hug. 

All Shivaay could think was that his brothers would always be his home, no matter the people he loved. 

"I fucking love you guys," Shivaay mumbled as he buried his face in Om's hair. 

The brilliant smiles that he was met with made him feel whole completely and boy, that feeling was welcome.