Taking care of Him(1): Chapter 5

Hao Xuan was battling with his heart and mind. His heart was screaming to go out of his hideout and help her while his brain told him to calm down and wait for her screams. Along with this battle with himself, the condition of his wound worsened and he felt as if his left upper arm became numb.

Finally, he decided to listen to his heart. But just then a doubt covered his conscience. 'Why Zhang Mei Xiang isn't screaming? She isn't letting out a single scream! Even no sound of her struggles could be heard. Did they really catch her or are they trying to fool me?' Hao Xuan pressed his lips together while a frown formed on his face. 'Just scream for once Zhang Mei Xiang, I will surely rescue you from their clutches.' Hao Xuan leaned back while his ears listened to every single sound.

"Master, I think he isn't present here." A man said. "How can one enter through this small entrance. Let's go. We don't have the girl with us."

"I know." The known voice was heard. "That General Xue will only come out if we capture that girl. Let's go. Search the entire woods. I want them tonight!"

Hao Xuan heaved a euphoric sigh of relief when he heard the heavy footsteps going away from the cave entrance. His right hand rested on his left side of the chest, soothing his heartbeat. A faint smile appeared on his lips. 'Zhang Mei Xiang is one of the kind.' But suddenly another new fear appeared in him with the thought of the Xiongnu tribes capturing Zhang Mei Xiang.

°°°°°°°°°°

The sun sank beneath the horizon, inviting the darkness to conquer the sky. Zhang Mei Xiang was walking through the woods searching for the herbs that would cure Hao Xuan. While searching, she entered darker and denser part of the forest. The trees proudly spread their crowns covering the sky, claiming themselves to be the rulers of the forests. Zhang Mei Xiang's bare feet carefully stepped forward to avoid the thorns and sharp stones. But the evil thorns didn't show pity on her. They got pierced into her feet making her flinch from time to time. Though her legs felt week enough to move forward, but her heart controlled her mind and supported her to move forward and collect the herbs.

Fortunately, she found the herbs in the middle of the dense forest. A triumphant smile appeared on her face. But the next moment her smile vanished when she remembered that they needed woods for campfire. Letting out a deep breath, she put the herbs carefully in her robes and moved forward to get out of the denser part. Blood flowed from her feet continuously while unbearable pain took over her body. She dragged her body and collected dry leaves, things and a few kinds of wood for the fire.

'Finally, I got what I require.' Zhang Mei Xiang heaved a sigh. As she was about to head towards the cave, sudden neighs of horses stopped her. 'Xiongnus.' Zhang Mei Xiang thought and she covered her face and hid behind a big tree.

"Xue Hao Xuan is really tricky!" The man who lead the Xiongnu troop spat. "How did he suddenly used his powers? I have never heard before that someone from the Qin empire can use powers."

'They are talking about Hao Xuan.' Zhang Mei Xiang pressed herself to the tree trunk, trying hard not to get discovered. Her brows got knitted together as she concentrated on every single word of the Xiongnu leader.

"Hao Xuan will be dead within a few hours." That man laughed like a lunatic. "Search for him. I want him tonight."

'Hao Xuan is going to die in few hours!?' Zhang Mei Xiang gasped at the words. A unknown feelings engulfed her and she felt a sudden tightness at her chest. Unconsciously, her foot moved a step back, resulting in the rustling of leaves. The sound pulled her out of her daze and she realized her mistake.

That rustling of leaves also grabbed the attention of the Xiongnu troop. "Who's there?!" The leader shouted. The members of the troop quickly followed the direction of the sound.