"I... don't need time."

I know her better than that. The way her mouth tilts before she averts her eyes shows me she is already aware of it. She clamps down on her lower lip, heaving out a nervous sigh.

"What was I like... in the past?" I ask, curiously. "How did I pleasure you?"

She scoffs, suddenly the shade of a beet. "I'm not telling you that."

"I'd like to know."

Regarding her in all seriousness, she caves, obliging me with an answer. "You were eager... um, excited." She begins to grin, and I sense one of her deflecting jokes on the horizon. "You've always been a great lay, on all accounts."

While I've grown almost fondly used to her vulgarity, my eyes narrow. It would be ridiculous to envy myself in a past life, surely, and yet here I am.

"Well, I have news for you."

She gulps as I straighten off of the wall. "Oh?"

"I'm in no rush to get this over with. I intend to be in you for quite some time, if you're willing."

"I'm very willing."

My features show none of the relief I feel at her admission. "I'm glad to hear it."

I've crossed the room. I'm standing over her. Her eyes are round, far reserved than I'm used to seeing.

"I think you're going to have to take over for today," she whispers as my finger nuzzles the space beneath her dainty chin. She's trembling. It's a gutting realization. I fully intend to eradicate her of her senses as soon as possible, rid her of this instinctive tension.

The fact that this particular woman feels the need to encourage me to lead her to bed, I have no doubt in my mind what needs to be done. I must do as she asks. I lay a ghostly kiss to the corner of her brow, pulling back with a calculating slowness.

"There's no need to be afraid, my love."

She nods against me as I linger close to her, her breath hot on my cheek. "I know."

Once she's looking me squarely, my eyes flicker to the mattress in command. "Sit on the edge of the bed. Strip. Slowly."

The dark insides of her eyes widen at my direction, but she is eager to listen. She takes a few steps backwards, sliding her fingers under her loosened sleeves, guiding them down while rounding the edge of the mattress. My hand stretches behind my back to seal the door to invaders, twisting the lock without having to touch it.

The material of the white dress the women dressed her in pools at her ankles, although she does bend to pick it up, laying it neatly over one of the body mirrors. If those mirrors held stories, I wouldn't be captured in them. As far as they know, Cassandra is alone in this room. I cannot recall the last time I beheld my own reflection. I was still a human, for certain. She takes a hesitant seat on the edge of the bed in her nude undergarments, her back stiff from my unabashed watching.

Facing the mirrors, she has no idea when I'll approach, what place in the room I stand to gaze at her. She'll only be able to sense it.

"You're much more collected than I thought you'd be," she breathes, looking at herself in the mirror. I smile. Oh, if only she knew how much restraint this is taking, to wait, to seduce her rather than bury myself in her and forget everything else.

I won't just take her. She deserves more than that.

"I want to see all of you," I insist. She reaches behind her back, unhooking her brassiere. When it unclips, my fingers strenuously flex at my sides. When the material falls away and she bares her breasts, I take a single step back, one she cannot hear. Restrain yourself.