Chapter One- Luca

Four months earlier

I pulled at the tie on my neck, trying desperately to loosen it. It was hot as hell in this car, and the fact that Charlotte had dressed me up like Mr. GQ wasn't helping matters.

"How long do we have to be here?" I grumbled, as the limo driver pulled us up in front of her old high school. I scoffed, looking at all the tacky decorations that they had put up for the occasion. There were streamers and balloons and confetti canons celebrating Charlotte's high school reunion. For the first time in my life, I was thankful that my parents hadn't sent me to public high school. This looked like a fucking nightmare.

"If you're going to be a grump about it, I'll make you stay all night." Charlotte smirked, checking her makeup one last time in the mirror. She was a knockout in that dress and for a fleeting moment, I found myself wondering who she was getting so dressed up for. That feeling was gone as quickly as it had come, though. Charlotte was mine- mind, body, and soul- and she never forgot that. Jealousy was a state of comfort for me, though. I always jumped to it in uncomfortable situations, and right now, I couldn't think of anything more comfortable than spending an evening of dinner and dancing in a room full of Charlotte's high school classmates. Especially since that included ex-boyfriends. We rarely got a weekend away now that the kids were so busy and when Charlotte suggested we take one to go to her high school reunion, I had been less than enthused.

"If you make me stay here one minute past eight, you'll pay for it when we get back to the hotel room." I snickered, actually hoping she would press me on the issue.

Charlotte narrowed her eyes at me. "We are at least staying until nine."

I shrugged. "That's fine, baby. That just means that's one hour of you tied to the hotel bed with me doing anything and everything I want to you as payback."

"Is that supposed to be some kind of punishment?" She winked.

Right as I opened my mouth to respond, the limo driver opened the door, and I lost my opportunity.

Charlotte took my arm, and we walked in through the gymnasium doors. It took every ounce of strength in my body to fight, rolling my eyes at the atmosphere. Many people were already there, and the gym was set up like some sort of low budget prom. There was a dance floor in the middle, with tables scattered around it and a few bars along the wall. At least there would be alcohol at this thing. Maybe I would survive after all.

"Charlotte?" A blonde approached us from the side with a Botox smile on her face.

"Renee!" Charlotte smiled, less enthusiastically. "So good to see you. This is my husband Luca."

The woman gave me a predatory smile and stuck her hand out. "So nice to meet you. I have heard lots of things about you."

"Nice to meet you as well." I gave her a tight-lipped smile. Something told me Charlotte and this girl weren't exactly on the best of terms.

"Charlotte and I were so close in high school. We shared everything. Even boyfriends." The woman smiled evilly, and I just raised my eyebrows at Charlotte. That was certainly a story I hadn't heard before.

"Not on purpose." Charlotte glared at the woman.

"You'll have to find me later for a dance." Renee winked.

"Back off Renee," another girl chuckled, walking up to us. "Don't want to repeat of what happened in high school, now do we?"

Renee's expression turned sarcastic. "Well, look at that. I should have figured you'd be close by, Jess. Always riding Charlotte's coat tails, after all."

"Don't you have a future ex husband to find?" Jess smirked.

Renee stomped off with a scowl.

"God, that woman is still just as bitchy as ever." Jess grinned, turning her attention to Charlotte and I. "You must be Luca."