Chapter Twenty Eight-Luca/Charlotte

Luca

Angelo threw his head back, laughing as we sat outside on the picnic tables for Rec. I explained everything about Layla's visit, and then told him my plan to get to Charlotte, but apparently, he wasn't convinced.

"This place really has made you insane." He said.

"It's the only way. I need to get hospitalized. They'll move me to a hospital, they'll call her, and then we can talk freely. I've got to be able to tell her what's going on. She thinks I actually signed those papers and want a divorce." I said, running my fingers through my hair. I'd gone through this a million times in my mind. There was no better option. I had to be able to talk to Char without fear of being heard by Whitaker, or by anyone else. They wouldn't be able to get cameras or recorders into a hospital room so quickly, and that was my best option before I lost her for good.

And Angelo was going to help me get there.

"So what? You want me to punch you? Right now? Just like that?" He chuckled, clearly not thinking that my plan was going to work.

"No, I want you to beat the shit out of me."

"Well, you don't have to ask me twice." He smirked. "But I don't think this is going to work the way you think it is. What if they don't send you to the hospital? They have a clinic here."

"Which is why it has to be bad enough for me to go to the hospital." At least with Angelo, I could semi-control the situation. I thought about provoking someone else, but I trusted Angelo to hurt me just enough.

"Luca..." Angelo shook his head with a heavy sigh.

"It's time. We've given him every chance in the book. If he hasn't taken it by now, that's on him." I said. I certainly hadn't wanted it to come to this, but I was left without any kind of choice. Losing Charlotte for good was the only thing on my mind and there wasn't a chance in hell I was going to let that happen. No loyalty, no friend, no one was greater than my love for her. She'd been through enough.

Angelo nodded. "I sent him a message a couple of days ago but haven't heard anything. So he knows it's coming. You're right, the ball is in his court. But how exactly are we going to prove it was him, and not us?"

"By proving Whitaker is dirty." I said flatly. "Obviously, Char and Marco are already in with him. They'll get the evidence we need."

"I don't like being on the outside of this. Char and Marco are a lethal combination, and you and I can't control it." Angelo said.

"I don't either, but I like it a hell of a lot better than being in prison for the rest of my life. Don't you?"

He nodded. "Then I guess we know what we have to do."

"Just try to avoid my face, will you? That's my money maker." I smirked.

"I'm going to enjoy this." Angelo shot me a sinister grin, standing up and punching me right in the jaw.

Charlotte

I felt off as I got ready for work. My nerves were rattled and all I could think about was my impending meeting with Whitaker tonight. Everything hung in its balance. My marriage, Luca's innocence, his life. There was so much riding in it and I felt the pressure of the world on my shoulders.

Luca thought a divorce would make me happy. I hated the very idea of that. I hated the position I had put him in. I hated that he thought I was doubting him, and so hurt that I was ready to be done with him forever. I hated all of it, but I knew it was necessary. Hopefully, in the end, it would all be worth it.

"Where are you going?" Layla appeared at my doorway, arms crossed over her chest and a harsh scowl on her face.

"I have to work this afternoon." I said, fastening my earring.

"You're not going to meet your boyfriend?" She snipped.

I stared back at her in complete shock, wide eyed. "My boyfriend? Layla, what are you talking about?"

"I know you asked Dad for a divorce, and I know you went on a date with your boss last night."

I let out a sharp laugh. "Layla..." I didn't even know where to start.

"Don't even bother denying it, mom. I found the divorce papers and then I went to see dad this morning." Layla glared. I had never seen her so angry with me.

"You went to the prison?" I was fuming. "I told you not to."

"Well, someone has to show Dad a little support. How do you think he feels knowing his wife is trying to help the people taking him down? Or are you just screwing him?"

"Okay." I held my hand up. "I know you're upset, but I'm still your mother and you don't get to speak to me like that."

Layla stared back at me, not at all backing down.

"I don't owe you any kind of explanation here, and I'm certainly not going to give you one until you can treat me respectfully. Whatever it is you think you know, you're wrong."

Tears welled up in her eyes. "Then tell me what's going on!" she begged, her voice desperate. "You and dad act like we're all still children but we're not. I'm an adult. I can handle whatever is going on. Are you really helping Whitaker put dad away?"

I buy my lip, trying to decide how to proceed. She was right; she was an adult. But I'd always see her as my little girl. And the last thing I wanted was for our kids to be caught in this messy game.

"No, I'm not. Uncle Marco and I are trying to get evidence from Whitaker so that we can get your dad and uncle Angelo out of jail. Whatever you saw last night, I was there to get Whitaker to trust me. To get him to think I was on his side. And Uncle Marco was there the entire time." I sighed.

"But the papers..."

"The papers were to make Whitaker think I was serious about leaving dad. He's being watched and recorded every second of the day and we knew that Whitaker would see me give him the papers. I threw them away, they were never filed."

"Mom, I..." She started crying as she searched for words.

"Layla, I know you're an adult, and that you can handle all of this, but that doesn't mean I can. The last thing I wanted was for you and your brothers and sister to know I was seducing my boss in order to get information from him. It's wrong, and it's disgusting, but there is nothing I wouldn't do if it meant I had a chance of bringing your dad home."

"I'm so sorry, mom." She threw her arms around me. "I had no idea, and I never should have accused you of that. I should have just asked."

"It's okay. I know this is hard for all of you. And I know there are going to be parts of it you don't understand. But if you understand anything, know that I love your father with my entire heart. There is nothing I wouldn't do for him, and I'm not giving up until I've exhausted every single possibility." I gently rubbed her back. She was sobbing now.

"Did you tell your dad you saw me with Whitaker last night?" I asked gently.

She nodded.

"What did he say?" I could only imagine how he was feeling now. He signed the papers and then I was out with my boss the same night. I wanted to throw up.

"That I didn't know the whole story and needed to come talk to you."

I frowned. That was an odd response. Had he and Angelo somehow figured it out? Did he know what I was doing?

All of a sudden, my phone rang. It was a number I didn't recognize, but I answered quickly.

"Hello?"

"Is this Charlotte Catalano?"

"Yes, who is this?"

"This is Dr. Collins. I'm the medic at the county jail. I was calling to let you know your husband was involved in an incident and is being transported to Mercy General hospital. If you'd like to meet us there, you're welcome to."

My heart dropped. Luca was hurt. So hurt they were taking him to the hospital.

"Of course. I'll be right there."