Chapter 5: No More Lies

Neon District, Four months ago...

David's wife paces around her house as she was on the phone, trying to find out what has happened to her husband. "C'mon, c'mon..." she mutters as the phone was ringing.

Then someone answers and she gets into an argument with them, "I already told you, I'm trying to reach my husband. He's a security guard there, works for a man named Kessler. No, I don't want to hold--" she argues and was put on hold anyway, "This is ridiculous." she growls as they were lying about her husband and she knew it well.

~8~8~8~

Kessler was getting ready to expose David to the Ray Sphere once more, but a man held out the phone to him.

"It's David's wife, sir.she's already called four times today." he informs him, "I'll take care of it," he states and took the phone from him.

~8~8~8~

"How may I help you?" Kessler asks her, "I'm looking for my husband, David Warner. I keep calling and calling, and I'm tired of getting the run-around." she informs him as she rubs her hand to her forehead.

"David Warner? He hasn't worked here for over a month." Kessler informs her, but she snaps at him. "Stop lying to me, I know--" she snaps. "David walked off the job. From what I hear, he often talks about wanting a fresh start, leaving all this behind. He was a very sad, broken man. Had a bit of a drinking problem." he informs her, as she didn't know that Kessler was standing right next to the testing chamber with David inside and the Ray Sphere expose to him.

"Is this Kessler? He told me about you!" she snaps right at him. "I'm calling the police!" she threatens him.

~8~8~8~

Kessler smirks as her threat assumed him, "If it makes you feel better, then by any means, call them. But perhaps you should consider the fact that your husband simply left you. It happens all the time, I'm afraid." he informs her.

Then pulls the phone away as she still didn't believe him, "I'm not going to get away with--" she shouts, but Kessler hangs up the phone, then tosses it right back to the man. "Send someone to watch over her house, I want her to watch at all times. And get in touch with the ECPS, make sure that they need to stay out of this." Kessler orders. "Yes, sir," he answers and walks off.

~8~8~8~

Neon District: Sewers...

The girl leads the two reporters through the sewers, as they were being mindful of their steps, "I'm sorry about your father. How'd he die?" Linda asks and the girl shrugs. "Heart attack, stroke, you know? One day, he just fell over." she states and climbs down the ladder, "I use to cart him to the quarantine line, asked the soldiers if they could take him out, bury him. Told me if I come any closer they'd shoot me. So that's why he just sitting in the doorway." she informs them and continues down the tunnel.

Then they walk onto the catwalk, "I need to ask you something-- how'd did you get into the city?" she asks them, "Why?" Linda asks her, "Just answer the damn questions." she reports at them. "We stole an inflatable raft from the military." Troy answers her, "You hid it?" she asks again. "Yeah," he answers her again. She stops and turns to them, "Good, hopefully, it doesn't get stolen. Okay plan. I show you around and in exchange, you get me and my dad out of here." she offers them.

But Linda was the first to reject the offer, "There's no way we're getting a corpse, sorry, your father through the quarantine line." Linda informs her and the girl glares at her. "Don't treat me like an idiot, I know what this story's worth. Once you tell your network what you've got, they'll move Heaven and Earth to get you out of here. So you either take us with you or have fun finding a way out of these sewers. So, what's it going to be" the girl offers them again and the two were reliving the threat Moya gave them.