Chapter 3: The Forgotten Enemy

Empire City, twenty-six days ago...

Everything was on fire after the bomb went off, then Kessler zaps down to the crater and walks over and stood over Cole. He then kneels down and checks on his body. "Let's see... Activation plus six minutes. Pulse is 45, respiration 10." Kessler mutters as he was checking Cole's heartbeat. Then he checks his eyes. "Significant dilation of the pupils," he states then checks his head. "No signs of physical trauma. Looking good, Cole," he states then stood up.

Kessler then looks up at the burning city. "May they forgive me for what I've done," he mutters and went to leave, but then he saw out of the corner of his eye another body, he turns towards it and zaps over to it and was in shock as a young female girl was laying there, unconscious and alive. He kneels down and checks her vitals. She was breathing, her heart was stable and her body showed no signs of trauma. She too was a potential Conduit, then he leans close to her as his lips were close to her ear "I'm sorry." he whispers and zaps away. Leaving both of them inside the Crater.

~8~8~8~

Historic District...

Cole and Cassandra sat in a cell with the Warden with them as they were going over what Moya has said to them. "If we stay, a lot of people are going to get killed." Cole informs him and Harms looks down at him, "More people will die if you leave." he reminds him and Cassie just leans back against the wall and buries her face into her arms with her legs pulled up to her chest. "Once We're gone, Moya'll pull back her troops," Cole informs him and Harms leans against the cell door.

And crosses his arms, "Not talking about her. Do you really think the First Sons are gone for good? For the Dust Men?" he asks and Cassie lifts up her head and places her chin on her arms. "It's possible, but no," she answers him. "They're just laying low. Waiting for their chance. The only thing keeping them in line is the threat of a real good ass-whipping." Harms informs him, but Cole was still thinking about the military and Moya's threat. "So if we stay, Moya bombs the city back to the stone age. And if we leave, this place turns into a Lord of Flies." Cole throws out his two options. Cassie then moves her arms and legs, leans forward and presses her head against Cole's shoulder. "I'm not going to tell you what to do, Cole." Harms informs him.

~.~.~.~.~

Outside the prison, David pulls himself from the sewers as Cole's scent was stronger than ever. -Thank you, Lord... for your blessing.-

He praises his Lord and Savior then charges forward at the men, draining them dry.

~.~.~.~.~

"But with you both here, Empire City-- or what's left of it-- has a chance." Harms informs them, Cassie lifts up her head as Cole stood up, "Are we going to live like this forever?" Cole asks him, "Don't have to." Harms answers and Cassie stood up as well, "What do you mean?" she asks.

He looks at them, "They've been on USTV every day, talking about how great things are, plenty of food and all of that. It's a good cover story." he informs them, then Cassie crosses her arms, "But..." she asks.

"But eventually someone's going to ask if things are so great, why are they bombing the city? Why all the troopers? Their window is shrinking, and they know it. My guess is that if we can fight them to a stalemate, this'll all be over in a week or so." he answers. "So you're saying is that we stay here in this prison for a week or so, fight off the military until the most obvious questions are being asked?" Cassandra sums up and Harms nods at her, "Well things can't possibly get any worse." she states and the alarms went off. Making the three alert and Cassie sighs. "What do I even bother?" she mutters, throwing up her hands. "What's that?" Cole asks. "Alarms. Something's happening out on the yard," he answers and they all ran out of the prison.