Chapter 1: Aftermath

First Sons Research Facility, Empire City, Four months ago...

"You'd better show me something to show me, Kessler." a woman snaps at the old man, "Oh, I think you're going to be quite surprised," Kessler promises her. "I'd better be." she snaps at him again as he leads her down a hall. The woman was none other than the DARPA agent, Moya-Jones. -I smell him, even from here.- thoughts whisper to themselves. "This whole thing is turning into a huge cluster. Between the F.B.I and DARPA, we've dumped tens of millions of dollars into your research, and what do we have to show for it? If the Koreans beat us, it's on your ass." she reminds him. The two then stop in front of a door and Kessler moves his eyes to the scanner. "Stop being so melodramatic, Moya." he tells her as his eyes were being scanned "You've got another week." she offers him, more like threaten him. "After you see where things are going, you're going to give me all the time I need," he tells her.

Then the door opens, -Every word he utters is a lie. He's using her.- the thoughts whisper to themselves "After you, my dear." he said and allows Moya to step inside first, "The Ray Sphere works on a simple principle--it transfers neuro-electric energy from non-Conduits to Conduits. Once enough neuro-electric energy is accumulated within the Conduit, their latent superhuman abilities are activated." Kessler informs her and Moya places her hand on her hip. "And everyone around them is killed." she state and Kessler just grimes to himself. "There's always a price, Moya," he informs her. -Just as he used me.- the voices whisper. "As I was saying, it's a simple principle. But I start to wonder: what happens when an activated Conduit's further exposed to the Ray Sphere? Will they die? Lose their power?" he questions then turns on a light.

A testing chamber light up and Moya looks inside, -But I see the truth now. Nothing will escape my sight.- the voice swore to himself. "Moya, I'd like you to meet David. A couple of weeks ago, he was working as a security guard at this facility," he informs her as she gasps from the sight of the man inside the testing chamber. "My God... Kessler, he's..." she states as the proper words escape her.

David laid strap to an operating table, needles and wires injected to him, completely naked and two extra arms on both sides and above his hips with the Ray Sphere right in front of him. "How many times was he exposed to the Ray Sphere?" she questions him as she could take her eyes off David. "Eleven times, counting this test," he answers her. -The Lord will show me his face and I will draw strength from it.- David prays to himself, "Are you insane? You need to put an end to this, right now." she orders him. Kessler just smirks to himself, "But you haven't heard the best part, my dear. Each additional exposure unlocks a new ability. It doesn't replace any abilities, it adds them." he informs her and she looks at him from the corner of her eye. "So one person can wield multiple powers at the same time?" she asks him and he chuckles, "Yes," he answers her.

She then looks back at David as the Ray Sphere powers up, "This... this is incredible. An army of people like David would be unstoppable." Moya said in amazement. -The strength that will fuel my vengeance.- David continues. Kessler smirks sickly to himself, "Pretty exciting, isn't it? And please put on your goggles. It's going to get very bright here in a moment." Kessler informs her and David was engulfed in the Sphere's blinding light.

~8~8~8~

Historic District, Empire city, One month ago...

Cole stood in front of a woman with a package in his hands and she was fuming with anger, "Look, this is the address they gave me, the name is Kessler." he informs her, but she just snaps and points her finger at him. "And I'm telling you that you got the wrong address." she snaps at him and walks off. Cole sighs and looks down at the package, "Shit." he mumbles to himself, then his phone started to ring.