Chapter 9

The house is just as big on the inside as it is the outside. The porch is aligned with chain smokers and couples making out. The noise moving through the entire house threw me off and I grab onto Mark's jacket to keep from getting disoriented. He turns and smirks, grabbing my arm and guiding me through the crammed house. 

There were colorful string lights laced around the entire main floor. Giant windows in the living room look out into the lake and next to it, a ten foot Christmas tree with every color ornament. Girls were standing by it trying to get people to take their picture. I wanted to sit down and admire the gorgeous tree, but the couches were packed, so I continued to be pulled by Mark.

We reach a room with a large table that resembles a dining room, but currently is acting as a beer pong tournament. A separate table next to it was covered in solo cups and alcohol, and I could already see Lin pouring a drink. We stop and look at the table, not sure what to really grab.

"Man, this place is HUGE. Have you seen Dillon anywhere?" She peers around the room and lays her eyes on a guy who definitely isn't Dillon, but someone much taller and in my opinion, hotter.

"No, I haven't seen him. But it looks like if you don't find him soon you'll be in someone else's bed tonight." Mark laughs, watching her drool over the guy at the beer pong table. He notices her staring and winks, making a ball into one of the cups, causing the guy at the other side to yell in defeat.

"Mark! Is that you in the flesh?!" A muscular tan giant pulls Mark into a hug, and Lin and I turn our attention away from the beer pong hunk. Mark is getting swung side to side before being placed back down in front of the guy.

"Haha, hey Luke, how's a going?" Mark fixes his jacket and high fives the now named Luke.

"Dude! I had no idea you were a party guy! How come I've never seen you at these before?" 

"Actually, I got dragged here by these people. Pay, Lin, this is Luke. I helped tutor him in calculus."

"Helped me Ace that class you mean! This guy is the best, you're lucky to have him." Luke pulls him into another hug and Mark can't help but laugh. Once he's back on the ground, Luke flies a hand up to his forehead.

"Oh shit! Have you guys had anything yet? Don't take the drinks from here these are for beer pong, I'll take you to the good stuff." A clearly drunk Luke leads us to the kitchen where guys are pouring drinks for already tipsy girls, looking like buff bartenders.

"James! Isaiah! We've got some newbies! Give them the good stuff." He pops a bottle cap off a beer and watches James and Isaiah hand off some drinks to two girls who are basically having sex with them with their eyes.

"What would you guys like? We can make everything." The guy who I assume is James says with a warm smile. He looks and sounds completely sober, probably cause he's the one making the drinks.

"I'll take a vodka and cranberry juice." Lin says, tossing the first drink she made earlier. "Also, do you know where Dillon is? He's the one who invited us tonight and I want to thank him properly." She winks and James throws his head back in laughter.

"I think he's out back by the bonfire. The snow wasn't too bad today so we have a lot of people outside watching the idiots jump in the lake."

"Oh yeah, we saw them." Mark says. James makes Lin's drink and hands it to her, taking it she comes over to me, pulling me to the side of the kitchen.

"Are you two okay if I leave for a little bit? I'm just going to find Dillon and meet his friends, but if you'd rather have me stay-"

"No no it's okay, Lin. You go have fun. Mark and I will find something to do for a couple hours." She pulls me into a hug and thanks me.