XX

Before she left Olympus, Elaine decided to make a call

Before she left Olympus, Elaine decided to make a call. It wasn't easy, but she finally found a quiet fountain in a corner garden and sent an Iris-message to her mother with a drachma Grover lent her.

"Vera Young, Bennington, Vermont."

The mist shimmered, and there her mother sat at the kitchen table, enjoying a bowl of cereal with James. She wore her holiday scrubs and had her hair slicked back, ready for work. James looked like he'd just gotten out of bed, but he wouldn't have to be at band practice until noon.

"Mom, James." She spoke, getting her parents' attention.

They didn't startle this time. They looked up from each other and stared at their daughter in awe. Elaine wasn't sure how much of what was behind her could be seen through the Mist, but she got the feeling her mom and James were just was amazed by Olympus as she was.

"You'll never believe where I am." She said.

"Oh, I can take a guess. Would you mind explaining why you're not at camp like we agreed?" Vera asked, raising an eyebrow.

"About that ... Don't get mad, but I kind of went on a quest across the country. I'm back now, don't worry. I'm in Manhattan, technically above the Empire State Building."

"A quest. Elaine, that's not what we agreed to." Her mother said firmly.

She huffed. "You don't understand, mom. My friend was in trouble. It felt good to help someone for once, like you."

"Oh Lainie. This is exactly why I didn't want you going to that camp. It's not safe for you to be around those people. If I'd known—"

"Vera, honey. It looks like Elaine is safe now. Let's not punish her for being honest with us." James soothed, placing a hand on top of hers.

Vera sighed. "I just wanted you to have a normal life, Elaine. I didn't want you to face monsters or go on quests. No mother wants that for their child."

"Well, we can't change the past. And someone very wise told me that I have to choose my own path. Not the one you want, or my father wants." Elaine said.

"I'm not going to watch you put your life in danger."

"It was in danger the moment I was born. Do you remember all those times I saw things? Things that couldn't be real? Now I know they were. All the myths are real, mom. They're my history, and they'll shape my future."

Vera shared a contemplative look with James. She could tell her mother didn't like what she said, but perhaps she'd consider it.

"I have to go to work, Elaine. I'm coming to get you next week, and I expect to hear everything. You may be half-god, but you're still my daughter." She said, giving her a small smile.

"Thanks, mom. I love you." Elaine said. "Love you too, James." She added quickly. She tried to limit the blush she felt at the fond look he gave her.