Chapter 22

Chapter XXII

It was many days and long cold nights before the air began to warm significantly. Stygian knew at this point, as she studied the odd irregular shapes of the trees around her that she was very far from home. Her mother must have come a long way to find refuge...if she was even here.

The red pines had disappeared days ago, having been replaced by rough scrublands and cold stone and rolling barren hills. After that the trees had returned much to Stygian's relief. They were the odd sort of trees she had never seen before. They were not the bright lime-green sort with white bark that grew in her homeland. These had dark crimson wood, so dark it almost looked black, with purple and forest green leaves of many hues. They coalesced together in sprays of foliage so that you could not tell where the spectrum started or ended. They were beautiful, Stygian thought to herself, but in a very creepy sort of way. Strange brown pods grew from them, hanging down like large cocoons, having the texture of velvet.

Calliopel must have been here before because he jumped onto the lowest branch and grabbed one in his pointy little muzzle before snapping it in half. Two twin orbs fell out, both as black and shiny as the abdomen of a beetle. Calliopel didn't hesitate to crack each of them open like nuts and began feasting on the lighter cinnamon cream flesh inside. It appeared like mush and caught within the tips of his whiskers. Stygian tried not to laugh because laughing hurt and her wings were bad enough without the extra pain. Calliopel glanced at her expectantly, as if he wanted her to mimic him.

"Alright, if you say so." Stygian felt warmth flood her chest. She trusted the little fox and he was helping her yet again in the only way he knew how. Not a very good hunter this one, but excellent at foraging.

She grasped the closest one in her teeth and delicately tried to pry it open with her claws. It was harder than it looked and she struggled for a few minutes before it popped open. Stygian jumped.

The fox snuffled, his turn to laugh at her.

"Hmph." She huffed, picking up the scattered twin pods. She bit into one and found that the shell was softer than the loud noise it made. Sweet creamy flesh exploded onto her tongue and she slurped it up hungrily.

"Wow." She exclaimed. "Unlike anything I've ever tried. Absolutely nothing like meat or berries."

Callopel stared at her for a moment more as she inhaled the other one, then made a grab for another. The two of them ate in silence until the sweetness became quickly overwhelming and Stygian had a hard time swallowing the rest.

"That stuff is rich." She told Calliopel, trying not to splutter on the remaining taste in her mouth. "There's no way I could eat that for the rest of my life."

A sound echoed through the surrounding trees and reached her ears. It sounded like a great thunder. Stygian swivelled around in surprise, hope swelling in her heart. But there was nothing to be seen except darkness as the forest clustered closer together until the sun was engulfed by leaves.

I guess I should go see what that was. Stygian told herself. It sounded big enough to be a dragon...or multiple. Maybe it's the rest of my family!

Pushing away all thoughts of Turbulence and his prophecy of betrayal, she hustled deeper into the forest with renewed fervor. Darkness swamped her scales and Calliopel was lost within the shade. They used their ears to find their way, but it was somewhat disorienting, as the forest took whatever noises that existed and garbled and swung it around in wild ellipses like they were underwater.

This is surely the strangest forest I have ever seen. She thought uncomfortably. She felt something cold spiral up her arm as she splashed into something unseen.