Chapter 24 - What's that supposed to mean?

Start from the beginning

"Well..." I say, biting on my lip for a few seconds whilst I decide on whether or not to tell him, "she kind of thinks that it might be, um, me." As soon as the words leave my mouth I immediately regret saying them, wishing for nothing more than to just be able to take them back, and so I quickly add on the end. "Which is completely stupid. I mean, there's no way that..." I trail off as I meet his eyes again.

This time, the emotion's slightly easier to read, and what I see scares me shitless.

"...is there...?" I ask, my confusion growing more and more by the second.

He's silent for a few more seconds before he clears his throat. "Well..." he trails off, rubbing the back of his neck nervously.

Oh. Shit.

Okay. Things just got awkward...

"Please tell me you're joking," I say slowly, sitting up straighter to get a better look at him and watching as he winces slightly.

Obviously that had not been the reaction he was hoping for.

"You have got to be kidding me," I mutter, looking away from him and closing my eyes.

I'm honestly not quite sure what I'm feeling right now, but it's somewhere along the lines of shocked, confused and angry.

I do not want to be in this situation right now. This is just... what even is this?!

"I've got to go," I announce suddenly, quickly standing up and making my way towards the door.

"Lucy, wait!" he replies, scrambling up after me and catching hold of my arm to prevent me from escaping.

What even – What the hell is going on right now?!

I yank my arm from his grasp and turn to him, running my hands through my hair before tugging at it in pure frustration.

"You can't just..." I start, not even sure how to say what I want to say right now, so I just settle for, "you rejected me!"

"I know," he says quickly, "and it was a mistake."

"You abandoned me! You abandoned me when I needed you the most!"

"I know," he repeats. "I know and I'm sorry!"

"I – I just – you can't just..."

"Luce, let me explain," he pleads.

"No," I shake my head, my eyes filling with tears that I furiously blink away. "No, you can't do this, this isn't fair and this isn't how it works! You made it clear that you didn't want me, that I meant nothing to you, you can't just go back on that now! You can't just – you can't just change your mind whenever you feel like it!"

"Lucy, please, I'm sorry, okay? I just – I was scared. I was scared and confused and under so much pressure to be the perfect future Alpha that I thought pushing you away would be the best thing for me. I know it's no excuse but, well, I didn't know what else to do!"

"You're such an asshole!" I snap. How the hell can he say that he was scared when I was the one who was suddenly completely alone without any family?!

"I know," he agrees, stumbling over his words slightly. "I know I am and I know I made a mistake but, please, just give me one more chance. This thing with the rogues, it's made me realise that I need you. You were always the one to knock some sense into me when I was being an idiot, the one to help me through things when it got too tough. I can't... I can't do this alone."

"Bullshit," I mutter, telling myself not to listen to him.

He's such a liar! I'm nothing but a novelty to him, a novelty that will wear off within a week, and I refuse to let him hurt me again.