Chapter 24 - What's that supposed to mean?

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, that was a good night, wasn't it?" he says with a grin, and I turn to give him an incredulous look.

"You're kidding, right?" I reply. "I don't think I got any sleep at all."

"Maybe not," he agrees. "But we had a pretty good time staying up talking."

That was true. We'd spent the rest of the night making shadow puppets with our torches and talking about random things until my mum came back to get us. I guess I could admit that the night wasn't completely awful...

"I guess," I mumble with a shrug. "Although I still think you're a complete asshole for scaring me like that."

"Oh, come on..." he says with a small laugh. "You knew I'd never have let anything hurt you."

Nothing except for you...

I sigh and lean back against the wall, shaking my head to myself slightly.

"How's training going?" I ask curiously, wanting to keep my mind away from that train of thought.

"Alright, I suppose," he replies, leaning back against the wall next to me. "Although some people are kind of starting to look like a lost cause."

"Oh, yeah? Like who?" I ask.

"Like... Melissa," he admits with a shake of his head, and I snort in reply. "Honestly, though," he continues. "I swear to God that girl can't throw a punch without worrying about breaking a nail."

"Ugh, so cliché," I mutter with a roll of my eyes. "So it looks like your future girlfriend won't be much use up against the rouges. And people call me pathetic..."

"Future girlfriend? Who, Melissa?!" he asks quickly, causing me to roll me eyes again.

"Oh, come on, it's so obvious. You guys are constantly flirting each other's asses off," I tease.

He sighs and shakes his head before muttering, "Why does everyone think that I like Melissa?"

I look over at him with a confused frown. "Um... maybe because you broke up with Rachel?" I suggest.

Rumours spread like wildfire in our school, and it wasn't long before practically everyone knew that he broke up with Rachel because he was interested in someone else. Then again... that's not exactly an uncommon thing for Justin to do, and everyone just assumed that it was Melissa.

"You really think I'd break up with a girl because I wanted to get with her best friend?" he asks in shock, looking over to study my expression.

I shrug. "Well... it's not exactly like you've been discreet about your player ways over the years," I reply, before making my voice slightly more light-hearted. "Who knew you actually had morals?"

"Ouch. That's cold," he replies with a shake of his head.

"Maybe so, but it doesn't make it any less true," I say. "Anyway, if it's not Melissa that you're after, then who the hell is it?"

Our eyes meet and I watch curiously as an unknown emotion quickly passes through his, but it's gone before I can decipher it.

"Isn't it obvious?" he replies, confusing me.

What's that supposed to mean?

"Um... no?" I reply, not meaning for it to come out as a question.

"Really, you have no idea?" he asks again, and I shake my head before chuckling as Amy's theory pops into my head. "What's so funny?"

"Nothing," I reply. "It's just Amy seems to have a ridiculous theory about it is all."

"Oh, yeah?" he asks, his lips curving up into a slight smirk. "And what exactly is this theory?"