Whispersong's heart ached for him. "What do you want to do then?" she asked quietly.

"I don't know," he sighed.

"Why don't you try it longer?" she pleaded. "They might change. They saw that you were loyal to Echoheart and I. They'll eventually see! Please, Bumblefrost, stay."

Bumblefrost sighed. "I'll stay for now, but how am I supposed to continue living as a Clan cat if I can't stay here? DayClan definitely doesn't want me; no other Clan will either!" He let out an unsteady breath.

Whispersong sighed, shoulders sagging. "Just give them time."

Bumblefrost snorted.

Whispersong watched Eveningstar and Sunfur, who were making their way over to her and Bumblefrost.

"Bumblefrost," Eveningstar meowed. "How did you sleep?"

"Fine," Bumblefrost replied stiffly.

Eveningstar blinked, then cleared his throat. "Today, I'd like you to join Sunfur's hunting patrol so you can get used to DawnClan hunting and some of the warriors."

"What's the point?" Bumblefrost growled. "Your warriors hate me. And I already know how to hunt in the forest. Whispersong and Echoheart taught me on our journey to the mountains," he added stiffly.

"If you ever want to sleep here again, I suggest you don't talk to the leader like that," Sunfur snapped. "If I was leader, you would not even be setting paw in DawnClan's camp; so you're lucky Eveningstar is even considering you and giving you a chance!"

Bumblefrost narrowed his eyes.

Eveningstar spoke again. "Are you going to join Sunfur's hunting patrol or not?"

"Fine," Bumblefrost grunted.

Eveningstar gave a stiff nod, then turned to Whispersong. "You can join the other. I know it's hard to get used to the duties again since you've been gone for a whole season, maybe longer, but we need cats."

Whispersong nodded. "Can't I join Bumblefrost's?"

"No, not today." Eveningstar shook his head. "Also, I'd like you to go see Goldheart and Yellowflower to check if you're doing fine after that long journey. Bumblefrost can go with you."

"What about Echoheart and Star?" Whispersong asked.

"Echoheart already checked in with the medicine cats this morning before she left on the dawn patrol. Star can be checked after you." Eveningstar then turned to Star. "Speaking of, after you see Goldheart and Yellowflower, I'll take you to your first apprentice training."

Star didn't look as excited as Clan-born apprentices did before training, but she nodded respectfully at the DawnClan leader anyway.

Whispersong nudged Bumblefrost, then led him across the camp to the ivy-draped medicine cat den. Whispersong slipped inside, Bumblefrost beside her. Goldheart and Yellowflower were nudging herbs into a tight, moist crevice, probably trying to preserve the herbs as leaf-fall approached.

Yellowflower turned and her green eyes filled with excitement. "Oh, Whispersong, I haven't seen you in so long!" she purred.

Whispersong smiled warmly. "It's been a while. I missed you."

"I missed you too! I'm so glad StarClan brought you back safely." Yellowflower flicked her tail. "I saw Echoheart earlier. She told me about the journey. I can't believe that new silver she-cat was a mountain cat. Why'd she come back with you?"

"Well, her own ancestors sent her dreams about the Clans," Whispersong murmured, and Goldheart twitched his ears in interest as he sorted herbs.

"Ooh," Yellowflower looked very intrigued. "She has warrior ancestors too? Are you sure it's not StarClan?"