nine: detention.

THE NEXT day, Everest was sitting in front of Stanley for a stupid test. He tried answering every question as best as he can, glancing over at Brad a few times who'd glare back. He looked down and shook his head, rolling his eyes. He shouldn't have been left alone. He should have stayed with Stanley. Maybe then he and Stanley would be together by now, he would've told him before Stanley asked Sydney to the stupid dance.

As far as he knows now, Stanley wasn't going with Sydney but neither was he going with Everest, seeing as how they haven't spoken a word to each other all day, not a simply hey or a goodmorning, which they always say to each other.

The teacher now walked up to Brad, "hey." He said and the jock looks up at him. "How's it hangin'?" He then asked and Brad smiled. "It's hangin'." He chuckled and Everest glanced over. "Mm..." The teacher nodded. "And uh, how are you today, sir?" Bradley then asked the man.

But he doesn't answer, picking up the test and Dina's test to examine both of them. "I didn't do anything wrong." Bradley tried to defend himself. "Wanna try that again?" The teacher asked and Everest rolled his eyes when Bradley tried the I hurt my ankle card. Well, that made sense when Everest had to get on top and do most of the work.

"Detention, after school, for the both of you." The teacher tells him, cutting him off and Everest smirks. "And you'll receive failing grades on this test." Everest's smirk went away as he looked over. "Seriously?" Sydney said and they all look over at the girl in the back row of the class.

"Excuse me?"

"Dina's been studying this for weeks. Now Brad cheats off her, and she has to fail the test?" Sydney said as she gestured to them. "I mean, that is such bullshit!" She smacked the top of her desk. "You can take that language straight to detention." The teacher pointed at Sydney.

Everest bitterly chuckled, "she's right though! Brad is the one who did all the cheating. Fucked up system." He looked at Brad for a couple of seconds before looking back at the teacher who pointed at him too. "Detention." He said sternly and Stanley stood up suddenly, Syd giving a confused look as Everest glanced behind him right when Stanley cleared his desk off of the papers and books. "Uh, m-motherfucker!" He added.

"Okay, fine, detention for you, Mr. Barber." He said and Stanley smiled at Everest who sighed and turned around to face the front of the class.

And after school that day, Everest walked into the gymnasium with Dina and Stanley with the principal following shortly behind them. "Everyone, take a seat. Now." Everest sat behind Sydney with Stanley who scooted closer to him once he sat down. "Now, you five students are in here for one reason." Their principal informs them.

"Disrespect." He says and Everest rolls his eyes. "You have disrespected this fine institution, and in doing so, you have disrespected yourselves. Four of you I've never even seen in detention before." He said. Stanley, Sydney, Brad and Dina, of course. Everest was in here once for smoking a cigarette in the bathroom. Jenny... many times.

"I want you to take the next few hours and think about your mistakes." He said and Everest rolls his eyes. "And carve out in your mind a plan for change. Determine how to improve yourselves. Define what the word respect means to you. Now, you can start by respecting this beautiful gymnasium." He said, looking around and Everest scrunched up his face in disgust. What was so beautiful about this stupid fucking gym?

"Between now and seven p.m, you're gonna scrape up every goddamn piece of gum on the bleachers." He said and threw down the box filled with the tools used for it. "Get started." He says.

"Uh, Mr. Whittaker, sir?" Stanley raised his hand. "Um..." He scratched the back of his head, "will there be a break for snacks or dinner?" He asked and Everest sighs, crossing his arms. The man doesn't answer but rather walked away to leave the gym. "Okay..." Stanley whispers.

Everest watched Stanley lean over to Sydney, apologizing. "No. I'm not talking to you, okay?" She said and Everest glanced at the other three on the bleachers. More at Brad than the others. How could be so stupid? Why did he have to get drunk? "Okay." Dina stood up suddenly.

"I know none of us wanna be here right now, but I was thinking, if we divide and conquer the bleachers, maybe we could be done before seven and Whittaker will let us out early, so..." She said and Everest stared at the floor. Why did she have to be so nice? Why did he have to be such an asshole?

Jenny clapped her hands, "go team!" She cheered in a faux manner. Dina sat down with an annoyed look to the girl in the leather jacket, "I'm not a cheerleader." She said to her. "Maybe you should be." Jenny said in a snarky tone as she leaned over and Everest just rolls his eyes.

"Maybe you should be in prison."

"Ooh. That's my wet dream." Jenny ran her tongue along her teeth and Everest sighs. "I don't know, guys. This gum has been here for decades. I don't think Mr. Whittaker actually checks. It's just a social experiment, like a simulation." Stanley said causing Brad to look over at him and Everest, well more like looked at Everest than Stanley.

"Oh. Well, somebody's been smoking their supply." He said and Everest glared at Brad right away, looking to Stanley. "You know what?" Jenny said and turned around, flipping her hair as she did, her arms crossed. "I have an idea." She says. "How about we play Fuck, Marry, Kill?"

"How on-brand." Dina said, sounding unimpressed. "So, who goes first?" Jenny said and Dina crossed her arms. She points, "eenie," at Sydney. "Meenie," at Stan. "Miney," at Everest. "Brad."

Dina looks at her boyfriend, "guess if I had to—" "no, not another word." Dina says. Everest would've probably been the one that Brad would kill. A dead man can never tell anything so secretive as a dry hump session with some dumb jock. "Oh. What about you, Miss Goody-goody. Or are you too afraid to play?" Jenny then asked Dina who looks at her and Everest softly sighs.

"Why would I be afraid?"

"Cool, then. Fuck, Marry, Kill." She said and Everest glanced down. "Everest Lovejoy, Mr. Whittaker... and Syd." She looked to the short haired girl and Everest rolled his eyes. "Well, clearly, I'm killing Whittaker." Dina said right away. "So, are you gonna fuck Syd or marry her?" Jenny asked her.

"Total life goal to marry your best friend, if Syd'll have me." She says and Everest looked at Stanley right away before looking at Syd who smiled. "Oh, so then it's you and Everest in an all-day bone sesh." Jenny said with a grin. "Ugh. You little slut." She said and Everest rolls his eyes.

She then leans towards Brad. "How does that make you feel, Bradley?" She asked in fake pity and Everest tensed up, looking at Stanley. "Whatever, Jenny." Bradley looked away.

"Why don't you go next, Jenny?"

authors note ... anyway how many of you hate me for the everest and brad thing? LMAO