one: smoking.

AS HOW the boys spend most of their nights, they were getting high in Stanley Barber's basement and since Everest Lovejoy lived right next door, he didn't need to worry about being unsafe on the streets, walking home while stoned and it didn't worry Stanley that his best friend would have to walk far after their smoke session.

"Sometimes I feel like I can't even imagine anyone else being my best friend, but you," Stanley said as he pointed his finger to Everest's chest making the bleach blond boy giggle at him. "You're so weird," he said but stared at Stanley with a fond look. Fond? Maybe... No. That's dumb. Stanley's his best friend. "You're more weird." The curly headed goof ball was leaning towards him and it made him get all nervous and warm on the inside.

"No. You are." Everest said and booped Stanley's nose making himself internally cringe. Now he was. Stanley only laughed, looking away, "wanna listen some more to Bloodwitch?" He asked and Everest huffed. "We always listen to Bloodwitch, can't I just play some... like, Freddie Dredd?" He asked and he was right, all they did was listen to Bloodwitch when it was just the two of them.

"Ev, no offense," Stanley said, his hand on Everest's knee which the other focused on intensely, "but you have shit taste." He concluded.

Everest looked up instantly. "Well, you're a shit friend." He said, crossing his arms with a glare. "What? Ev—" "I'm totally fucking with you, Barber!" He shoved the other's shoulder, laughing at his reaction. "Oh, uh, I-I wanted to tell you something..." He said, suddenly getting serious making Stanley look up at him. "Yeah? Like what?" He said and crossed his legs, facing Everest who sighed. "Okay, but if I tell you and suddenly everyone knows about it, I'm burying you alive, Barber, you do know that, right?" He says.

Stanley quickly nodded, "yeah, of course." He said and Everest sighs, rubbing his thighs gently. "Uh... I-I kind of..." He paused and bit his bottom lip. "I lost my virginity." He glanced up at Stanley who stared at him, processing the information.

"Oh? Like... not to your hand? An actual... person?" He said and Everest didn't realize it was Stanley trying to find out if he was gay or not as he sighed, rubbing the back of his neck. "Yeah, uh, Celeste, you know, uh, Zepeda?" He says and Stanley slowly nods. "Oh, yeah, uh-huh, Celeste Zepeda... Ooh." He raised his eyebrows, pretending to be impressed by it to hide the obvious truth; he's jealous. And not because Everest got to sleep with Celeste, but because she got to sleep with him. "Yeah..." Everest genuinely smiled and it bothered Stan. He felt sad as he glanced down, "yeah, when?" He asked.

"Uh.. just last week."

Celeste was on Everest's lap and he was rubbing her back gently, being careful not to make her uncomfortable when she pulled back, "you can touch me, you know," she gave him verbal consent and he just quickly nodded. "Yeah, yeah," he chuckled nervously and sighed. "Uh, I j-just don't want you uncomfortable or to not like it." He explained and she just nodded her head. "Right... Well, I can guide you." She offered and he smiled. "Sure."

"Wow, was she good?" Stanley asked, he was rolling joints now and not paying attention. Or tried not to, but he listed to every single detail that Everest was giving him and nodding along. "Uh, well yeah, obviously, she's a Senior," Everest chuckled and crossed his arms again. "I like her... she's nice, pretty and... really funny." He said and Stanley just raised his eyebrows, not so surprised.

"Yeah," Stanley whispered and Everest noticed. "Hey, don't-don't worry about it, I'm sure you will too soon." He shrugged and Stanley just ignored him, humming in response as he licks gently along the paper and then closed the joint. "Maybe sooner once I get to talking to Sydney." He had a smile after he said it and Everest raised his brows. "Sydney? Sydney Novak?" He asked.

"Yep." Stanley nods as he got to making another joint. "Are you sure?" Everest had a confused look on his face and Stanley glanced up. "Okay, come on, not all of us can get pretty, funny, nice Seniors," he said and Everest huffed. "Not what I mean... she just... doesn't seem like..." He trails off. "She doesn't seem like my type?" Stanley asked.

"No! You just don't seem like hers." Everest said with a wide grin and Stanley rolls his eyes. "Whatever, Ev," he mumbled, looking down. "She's cute anyway, I see what you're on about," Everest shrugged his shoulders and sighed loudly.

"I better head home." He stood up and Stanley looked up at him. "I thought you were sleeping over?" He said and Everest stared down at him. "No... gotta send cute pics to Celeste tonight! Stop being a girl, Stan." He walked away and Stanley just looked down, his brows furrowed. Everest was usually never like that, they always have sleepovers and Everest had promised when they were twelve they'd never stop happening.

Everest flipped over when Stanley whispered his name, "yeah, Stan?" He smiled softly at the other. "My dad says we're... fags." He whispered and frowned. "Because we have sleepovers..." He said and Everest shrugged. "I like it when you're sleeping over or I am... doesn't make us... that word." He says.

"Yeah," Stanley smiled and Everest nods. "Yeah..." He says and Stanley glanced down. "Will we always have sleepovers even when we get older?" He glanced up at Everest who just nodded. "Of course, Stan. The sleepovers shall never end! Not on my watch, Stanny! Even if we're in a fight and we won't talk to each other... Even then, we'll still have one, a quiet one." He smiled, held out his pinky, "I promise." He says and Stan smiled, linking his with the other boy's. Everest stared at their intertwined pinkies before glancing up at Stan. "Until we both get girlfriends?" Stan says and Everest chuckled at that. "Yeah, until then," Everest had a wide smile on his face.

"Even if we're both like... thirty and single?" Stanley said it mostly as a joke and Everest did laugh, the reaction he was expecting and hoping for, the reaction that made him smile and stare. "Yeah, sure, Stanny, whatever will help ease your mind..." Everest had calmed down and looked at him. "Goodnight, Stan." He says and Stan smiled wider.

"Goodnight, Everest..."

But they didn't both have girlfriends, only Everest. With an unsettling feeling, Stanley just got ready for bed and fell asleep alone, without Everest. It was fine. He didn't need to depend on his best friend so much. He's a big boy, right?

authors note hi just hear to say i love Stanley Barber and Everest Lovejoy so fuckin much and i'm really excited for this fic :)