↘︎ chapter forty-four

Start from the beginning

"Are you still denying she doesn't like our joke shop idea?" questioned quietly George, smirking at his brother. Fred just rolled his eyes playfully.

"Okay, maybe she loves--adores it, but that doesn't change what she said."

George looked again at Marley. He and his twin brother were walking casually in the corridor, without seeming to pay attention on their conversation. But Marley and Noen themselves also didn't seem to notice the Weasley twins with bright red hair.

"Maybe one day, who knows." they heard again Marley's voice when they were in the entrance hall and walking toward the Great Hall for dinner. And then the shitty fate decided it will be better is somehow Marley manages to see them.

When George's eyes met her hazel eyes, he saw the sparkle in them, saved for him, the cute smile she was giving him, the dirty jokes and her both sweet and badass behaviour, their kisses and attempts to dates while going to Hogsmeade.

Yet none of the three showed that they had actually noticed each other and that everything was fine. They just rolled their eyes at each other as they continued on their way, as if the other didn't exist. And this internally stabbed a knife into George's heart, but he suppressed all his feelings.

          ***

MARLEY POV

Today was thе Third and last Task of the Triwizard Tournament. Marley was excited. Her OWL exams had already ended and everything was in the past, and now she could only enjoy the last week and a half before going to Wales to stay with her mother and godmother. This time she had no intention of spending her summer with Fred and George Weasley. The three were still 'angry' and didn't talk to each other.

Marley tried to spend more time with her brother Harry, as well as with Ron and Hermione. She didn't talk to Lina and Lee so often because of the twins, but that didn't mean they weren't friends. Still, Marley didn't want to be quarreled with Fred and George. Fred could survive it and be offended, but Marley knew George as her palm. She could see in his dark brown eyes that he was actually sick of it and feeling really bad.

In the afternoon after lunch on the day of the Task, Marley left Gryffindor's common room and walked down the stairs. She wanted to take a walk and breathe some clean air to clear her mind. And it really would have happened if she hadn't seen Fred and George walking down the corridor, straight to the common room and talking lively about something. It wasn't probably in Marley's business again.

She had just taken the last step of the staircase, and they the first and three of them nearly collided with each other. Why was this exactly happening? She didn't apologize for hitting them, neither did they. No emotion ran through their faces. Even if they had already forgiven her, they played their roles well - roles of boys who didn't care. Marley knew they were unlikely to don't care, and breathed a sigh of relief.

"I hope I won't see you today." she mumbled quietly under her nose in purpose to harm them, like they harm her every day with their cold behaviour. "It's too empty in the calm corridors, and you're here, ruining it."

"Haha, very funny." Fred annoyed rolled his eyes.

"The short girl better shut up." added George and a muscle on his neck trembled. "Now, unlike you, we'll try to be polite and ask you if you can move on so we can go upstairs. Or we'll have to go through you."

"That's not happening." she crossed over her hands angrily. "You better move on. I was here before you. Back off."

"You back off." looked at her Fred with persistent brown eyes. "We were in these corridors before your little shitty ass. Now, move. We want to go to the common room."

"And I want to go in the courtyard, but you're not letting me." Marley fend off the red-haired twins with challening look in her eyes. She wasn't ready to give up and she wouldn't do soon. "Why can't you just try to be gentlemen and just step backwards, you little pieces--"

"Oh, Marley! Fred! George!" exclaimed happily a way too familiar voice. The three turned paralyzed in the direction where they heard the voice of Mrs. Weasley. She was walking in the corridor with her eldest son Bill Weasley and Harry Potter.

Bill had long red hair, up in a ponytail and wearing a earing on his left ear. He was really tall like Fred and George, but one idea taller than them. If Marley felt like grass next to the trees Fred and George, she would have felt like human next to a spaceship, comparing with Bill.

"I'm so happy to see you all there!" she said with sincere happiness and hugged Marley quickly, then the twins. The sixteen-year-old girl made them a sign with her eyes to pretend they weren't in a fight and that everything was okay. "You have a lot for storytelling."

"First, mom, what are you doing here?" Fred furrowed his red eyebrows.

"We came to watch Harry at the Third Task, obviously, Fred, my boy." she replied and tweaked his right cheek. Fred snorted annoyed and rubbed the red stain on his cheek with hand. This gesture gave Marley the memories when Fred and George used to tweak her cheeks when they were younger. Nostalgia filled her. "Now, I heard some stuff from Harry about the three of you."

Marley wanted to slap her forehead, but just looked at Harry with a slightly murderous look, just like a typical big sister. And Harry, acting innocent, shrugged and smiled nervously. Bill was standing beside him, grinning widely, and Mrs. Weasley looked slightly angry and confused.

"What exactly did this little-- and amazing child tell you?" asked George with clenched teeth, but Marley stopped him on time, hitting his ankle before he could swear in front of his mother. Poor Mrs. Weasley would have an heart attack.

Mrs. Weasley either didn't hear what George had said or pretended not to notice. "First, why didn't you tell me you were dating Marley? I didn't believe it would happen, but I'm extremely happy. And yet, how dare you hide it from me for half a year?! Ever heard of оwl mail or you're living in a cave, George? And second, how can you fight with Marley? Look what a beautiful and good girl she is. Do you really make her feel bad? Let me give you a lesson in acting with girls. You may need it. And not just you. I'm talking about you too, Fred."

"We're not angry with each other anymore." said quickly Marley, relieved to say that but it was a lie. They were yelling at each other a couple of minutes ago, and now fucking lying to Mrs. Weasley. "Right, George? It was just a simple fight and we're not mad at each other. Anymore."

Harry opened his mouth to say something, but Bill placed is big hand on his face, telling him to shut up. Marley nodded at Bill slightly, wordlessly thanking him. She was sure she had just made up this play because she didn't want to worry Mrs. Weasley and as a mature adult, he understood the hint.

George made an effort to smile and had to put his arm around Marley's shoulders. That sent electrecity to her body and she held her sudden trembling. "Nothing's wrong, Mom. Fred can confirm it, right, mate?"

"Yes, we love little Marley so much. She's just like our sister." said Fred. That was a total cliche, but Mrs. Weasley kind of seemed to believe them. Since Marley didn't know when she could hold George's hand again, she carefully raised her hand and intertwined their fingers, exhaling heavily. Mrs. Weasley just smiled at them, and then told them that Harry would take them in a tour of the castle and they should leave. With the three left just around the corner, the play was ready to end. But neither George let Marley, nor she.

"Thank you for playing this in front of your mother." she muttered quietly, her hazel eyes staring at the floor and the tip of her black shoes.

"That's fine." shrugged Fred like it was nothing. "C'mon, George."

George didn't seem to want to leave Marley, and she simply swallowed hard, watching them climb the stairs without looking back. And then she decided it was time to be distracted. She turned on her heels and ran to catch up with Mrs. Weasley, Bill, and Harry.