↘︎ chapter forty

40 | The deal between Marley and George

The decoration in the Great Hall was wonderful. It was snowing everywhere. And yet it was not all cold and you could easily not worry that you would freeze. Marley Macmillan was delighted with everything, and she, Fred, Lina and George had long since entered the Hall when the huge doors opened and missed the four Champions and their partners. Fleur Delacour with a boy from Ravenclaw, Cedric Diggory and Cho Chang, Harry Potter with Parvati Patil and Viktor Krum with ... Hermione?! Marley rubbed her eyes but it was true - Hermione's partner was the Bulgarian Seeker.

Shortly after they arrived, they reached the center of the Hall and they opened the Yule Ball. At one point, other couples started to get involved, Fred led Marley and the two danced to the dance floor. The song was growing faster, so did the dancing.

"What are you up to, Freddie?" questioned Marley. Fred just turned her slightly and pulled her back to him again. The dance was faster, but Marley liked the adrenaline rush in her veins.

"Nothing, Marley." he just smirked. What a miserable lie! "I don't know what are you thinking but it's not what it looks like, I promise."

"Okay, but it's obvious you have a thing for Lina, right?" Marley was persistent. Fred just bit his lower lip but didn't reply. "If you like her, then why did you ask me? Were you scared she would say no? As you saw, she said yes to George."

"That's not the point. I don't like Lina that way. We just have to work on some project for Moody's class." Fred rolled eyes off Marley, directing them to Lina and George, dancing a few feet apart from them. Marley had to admit he was good at improvising and lying.

"I didn't know Moody was giving projects. What is it about?"

"You won't understand." retorted Fred. He looked more nervous than before. The song just ended and they lef the dance floor. "Hey, do you want something to drink? It's so hot in here. I'll bring some pumpkin juice."

"Fine." Marley sat down and finally got rid of her formal pink robe. Everyone had take their robes off because it wasn't necessary to wear them anymore. Suddenly the famous band The Weird Sisters came on stage. Everyone was happy and full of adrenaline, having fun and dancing.

Fred delayed too much, and Marley saw that Hermione was talking to Viktor, Ron and Harry were standing on the bench, and the twins Parvati and Padma Patil were angry with them and left the boys alone. The songs were still fast and full of energy, and after Marley danced with Hermione and Ginny, she went to sit on the bench next to Ron and Harry. She saw neither Lina nor George in the crowd. What could have happened to them?

"What did you do to the Patil twins?" the girl joked and Ron let out a bitter laughter.

"Well, we didn't want to invite them to dance and they got angry." mumbled the red-haired Weasley like it was something normal to act rude with girls. Marley just furrowed her thin eyebrows.

"Oh, how didn't they get offended by this?" she asked ironically. "If you didn't want to go with them, then why did you ask them to the ball?"

"Because the girls we wanted to go with, already had partners." retorted Harry sadly and bowed his head to his lap. Marley just placed her hand on his shoulder, sisterly. "I wanted to go with Cho Chang, but it looks like Cedric asked her first. And well, I think Ron wanted to go with Hermione because she was the only girl he could ask and don't twist his tongue."

"I guess everyone is here with the wrong person." sighed Marley and looked again at the crowd. No clue of Fred and Lina, but she spotted George, talking to Lee Jordan. Was it possible for Fred and Lina to disappear from the ball and go kissing somewhere? George and Marley would tease them for life.