Chapter 13: The First Blood

"Mia, come here." The teacher calls. I walk over to her. The rest of the class is cleaning up, getting ready to go.

"Yes, Ms. Sorn?" I ask. Today, all my teachers have told me that I am missing a ridiculous amount of school. I didn't need to her it again.

"Ms. Bell, I realize that you have probably heard this already, but I need to tell you again. You are missing so much school. I can tell that you have so much make-up work that trying to get it all done would require days. You need to figure out how to manage school and work." Ms. Sorn gives me a small glare. "I know that you are having a lot of family trouble, but school is still important. And, legally, since you only have a vague reason I still have to give you homework. If we knew what the reason was, you might only have to do a few little things."

I open my mouth, but can't think of anything to say but "Ok." I nod and walk back to where Sam is standing.

"Same thing?" She asks.

"Yep." I sigh. "'You have missed too much school. You have make-up work.' It's getting really old."

Sam looks over at me. "Well at least it is the last period so you can just go home and relax."

"No such thing in my house," I grumble. "People are either yelling at each other, or making me do things like fly six hours."

"You still haven't told us why you missed school last week," Sam points out. "If it had been just a normal thing for you, you would've missed all week, not just the last few days."

"Yeah, sorry." I rub my eyes. "It was chaotic and I don't want to talk about it here."

"Maybe over dinner?" Sam suggests.

I pause to stare at her. "Are you trying to ask me out?"

"Maybe..."

"Okay then." I blow out a breath. "But maybe talk about something different. I think I need to tell both of you at the same time."

"That bad huh?"

"Yeah."

Then, the bell rings and the classroom empties out quickly, with Sam and I in the middle of the herd. We push through to get to our lockers, with mine being farther away.

"See you on the bus bitch." Sam winks at me.

"Sam you can cuss?" I yell at her. All I get in response is laughter.

After struggling to get to the bus quickly without getting run over, I finally make it out the doors.

"How are you here already?" I ask Avery, who is leaning casually against one of the pillars.

"I'm magic," She replies. Her eyes are trained at the screen of her watch, where she is watching something appear.

"Is that a new code thing?"

"Sort of. It is code for a program that will allow me to see the final tests easier." Avery sighs before turning off the watch. "It's not going that well. The code for the websites won't load, meaning I can't break the protection against it."

"Why are you trying to cheat on the test?" I ask.

"Not cheat." She grins at me. "Prepare. I was only going to look for the things that I think I should study for, because you know, every test is different. So I just look for the generics."

I was mid hitting Avery on the head when Sam runs out the door. I hear "Bus," and then she is gone.

"She's crazy," I mutter, walking after her.