Under The Moon's Shadow: Night's Tale - Chapter: 2

Start from the beginning

“Since it is unknown as to what is attacking us Ancients we’ll be setting up watches for the boarders and sending out scouts to find out what is hunting us and why. Nyx you have very acute senses which will serve you well during a night watch. You and Skylor will be partnered for a night watch along the southern border where we’ll be expecting others to be coming up from the south in a few days. We need you there to make sure that it is clear and safe for them.” Sorin said laying out a plan to prevent any chance of the enemy finding a way through the Ancient magic that protects this place and finding a way for us to strike back.

I didn’t hear anything thing else Sorin said. I saw his mouth moving as he continued on but no sound of what he said reached my ears as shock surged through my system followed closely behind with a violent instinct to rip Skylor apart something I could never act upon. Just because I now knew who he was didn’t mean instinct died it was still strong and very present. I have to hope that I was disciplined enough not to act upon wanting to rip him into a thousand shredded pieces while we were on watch together.

“That is all. Everyone has their assignments. Meeting adjured.” Attila’s voice now ringing clearly through my ears and bringing me back to the present. It was traditional for the one whose territory the meeting was being held in to start the meeting and end the meeting.

With that everyone cleared out of the room and headed out into the night to meet up with their assigned partners....Something I wasn’t looking forward to doing at all. Sorin stayed close by me providing a calming effect as Skylor and Nova came over towards us. They where a yard away from where we stood waiting. As they came closer I tensed up causing my nails to lengthen and already razor sharp teeth to lengthen.

-Relax Nyx. Take a deep breath. He isn’t a threat. - Sorin said gently.

It was enough. I smiled at him before looking up at the gray cloud covered sky, taking deep breaths I began to relax as Sorin continued to gently tell me to breath. I didn’t know Skylor or Nova so their connection to the Valko pack was a mystery to me. Growing up in this forest around the other four packs allowed for the ease of familiarity to overpower deadly instincts. To us Ancients our whole life was the loyalty to our pack which was our family. Being raised around four other packs and its members make us a giant pack or family so instinct is to be loyal to them. This is how I can so easily move around the members of the four other packs but have an issue with Skylor and his pack.

“Hello, I am Skylor the Alpha of the first of the arriving packs and this is my Beta Nova.” Skylor said as way of introduction effectively snapping me out of my thoughts and bringing me back to the here and now. He and Nova both had their head respectfully lowered slightly as they greeted us. Sorin and I where royalty among the Ancients though I more so then Sorin considering we had a more matriarchal society.  

“Hello, I am Sorin Alpha of the ruling pack and this is my twin sister Nyx. She is the Alpha female of the pack and the Princess.” Sorin replied in turn. I nodded towards them. The two of them clasped each other’s forearm. Soon after Sorin and Nova headed off together towards the northern border where some other packs might come through if they thought or found it safer than some of the other boarders.

-Be nice and remember he isn’t a threat. - Sorin told/commanded me without every breaking his conversation with Nova. Very few Ancients could mentally communicate with someone while talking to another. Sorin and I had it down to a fine science and no one was ever the wiser.

-I’ll try but no promises mom. - I answered in a smart ass manor.

“I need to make a stop by our cabin and inform the babysitter I won’t be back until dawn. It is on the way to the southern border.” I said turning towards Skylor. He looked at my necklace and then nodded his head.