Under The Moon's Shadow: Night't Tale - Chapter 4

Under The Moon’s Shadow: Night’s Tale

Chapter Four:

The night’s cold air swirled the falling snow around us as we stood there with locked eyes. The longer we stood there with no words passing between us the more unsettled I got and that brought on the killer instincts within me. I could feel my nails length and teeth sharpen I was ready to take him down. I don’t know how long we’d been standing there with our eyes locked but Skylor had better say something soon if he wanted to continue to breath. The longer we stood there the stronger the killer within became.

“No, Nyx we have never met before. Valko is my uncle though my home range is the desert in the South. We were heading north when we almost got attacked forcing us to seek shelter in a forest I’ve only seen one other time five years ago. That day I watched as the ruling pack left the forest and in that pack I saw the most beautiful white wolf.” He said with a slight smile playing at the corners of his mouth.

We’ve never met before and yet it felt like we’ve known each other forever. The knowing what the other wanted before they even asked the feeling of knowing this person despite the odds of never meeting and the constant feeling of belonging even before knowing that this person was my mate. Things seemed to have complicated themselves between us. I didn’t need an obsession. I was an alpha female, the princess of the forest, mother of three and so not ready to deal with this. I gave Skylor a small pathetic smile and started walking again. I only managed to get a few steps forward before he stopped me. I turned to him with a questioning look. He held up his hand in a signal for quiet. He was tense and alert as he scanned the area and making sure I was behind him at all times. It went against my grain to be behind someone. I wasn’t helpless and a killer fighter in my own right. I was about to step off to his side when a sear burning of pain happened in my back reminding me of just how beat up I still was which meant not able to fight at full strength and that was a dangerous thing for the both of us. I caught the sound focusing in on it in order to determine what it was. There was no scent on the air and the steps where heavy just like the night I was attacked. I froze with fear as we stood there listening to what could ultimately be our doom.

-It can’t be the enemy. We are too far inside the borders of the forest.- I said mentally to Skylor.

Traditionally only alphas could mentally communicate with other alphas however because I was the next ruler I could communicate with any member no matter they're standing within a pack. I didn’t have to concentrate solely on communicating mentally like others did either. To me it was as easy as if I was talking to my own brother.

-Your right but there is no scent and the foot falls sound heavy. So if it isn’t the enemy what is it?- Skylor asked back while only showing slight effort concentrating on communication with me and listening to the danger.

I fought past my terror with the knowledge that Skylor was here and would ultimately protect me so there was nothing to worry about and that fact alone allowed me to really focus in on the sounds of the foot falls. I smiled slightly to myself when I recognized what it was and was a little surprised that there was one so close to us.

“It is just some elk Skylor. They are down wind so there would be no scent but there are at least two of them. A little surprising that they haven’t caught our scents yet and made a run for it.” I quietly informed him with slight amusement lining my voice.

“Your right, it is amazing that you picked up on it that quickly without any scent.” He said a little awed after listening closer to the sounds.

“It’s second nature to me.” Was all I said with a slight shrug of my shoulders before I started walking again with Skylor holding onto my hand as if he was afraid that if he let go I’d disappear forever.