Under The Moon's Shadow: Night's Tale - Chapter 3

Under The Moon’s Shadow: Night’s Tale

Chapter 3

The night was still hours away from being old as the pack moved as one towards the large clearing where the nights activities would be held. The light of the full moon lit the way as we walked ever so lightly over the snow covered ground barely making a sound or even leaving a foot print behind us as we drew closer to the clearing. This would be a long night, the longest night of the year for all Ancients and the most important. We entered into the clearing treading lightly on the snow as we drew close to the large bonfire where every ceremony would be held tonight. Amara’s blessing went well and the goddess gave little Amara her remaining tags which were promptly attached to her necklace with her birth tag though it would be sometime before she could wear it. Sorin and mine’s blessing also went well. We entered into adulthood and surprised many as we did so. Probably due to the fact that we acted older then we are, where the Alpha’s to the ruling pack and have been since we were only 15 years old. All that tends to scare and surprise people all at the same time which to me is absolutely hilarious since people never hide their surprise well and it always shows on their faces.

Sitting by the bonfire I watched the flames shoot up into the night sky while feeding Amara a bottle and wondering where in the world my sons had run off to while memories filled my thoughts. I got lost in memories of a night exactly like this one five years ago it was our last goddess moon celebration with our family packs and here we where five years later the new ruling pack and a new family. A totally strange and slightly messed up one but a family none the less. The shadows of the past for any Ancient couldn’t be forgotten and in some form or another we lived those shadows again. Five years ago I had two infant sons and now I had an infant daughter. Change came to our shadows of the past so it wasn’t always the same but we always relived them one way or another. From today on the shadows of my past would have to be created for the shadows of childhood have faded with the stepping into adulthood. So lost in thought I didn’t hear my sons crunching the snow under their little feet or the almost silent steps of the adult that held their hands bringing them to me until they were close and I heard a sniffle from one of my little guys. Coming out of my thoughts and looking up I could see Phobos’s tear stained face, red nose and red puffy eyes.

“What happened sweetie?” I asked reaching out a free hand to wiping away the tears on his check.

“I hurt my hands on the rocks, mamma.” He said with another sniff while holding out his hands for me to see. He wasn’t hurt badly just light little scraps on his palms from catching himself on the rocks after probably tripped on something.

“It’s okay sweetie you’re not bleeding. Do you want to go find Auntie Talitha?” I asked him knowing that he wouldn’t want to see the healer for a minor thing as slightly scratched hand. He shook his head no but still held a sad look on his face.

“What can mamma do to make you feel better?” I asked him. Phobos held his arms out for a hug. I smiled and pulled him into a one armed hug while kissing him on the forehead. “Better now?”

“Yes, love you mamma.” He said before turning and running off with Deimos on his heels.

I shook my head as I watched them transform from little boys into wolf pups. The call of the goddess’ moon was strong and the only ones who remained in human form where those that had to. Amara was too young to transform so in order to care for her I was stuck in my human form with aching muscles that where tense with the need to transform into my other half. This full moon holds more power over the ancients then any of the other full moons what with being the goddess’s moon and all. After the boys were out of my sight I turned to see who it was been that had brought them to me. Looking up I saw Skylor was the one to deliver my sons to me. I motioned for him to sit down on the log next to me.