28- Of The King's Condition

I drove as fast as I could towards the palace and I tried so hard to focus on the road but seeing Maiena cry alone in the backseat through the rearview mirror was breaking my heart into a million pieces.

I wanted to stop the car, take her into my arms and hold her. I wanted to kiss each tear away from her cheeks and just hold her. Comfort her. But I also knew how anxious she was and how much she needed to get home and be with her family.

Feeling a little helpless, I could only only make sure that she got to the palace as quickly as possible. So I stepped on the accelerator and focused on the task of getting her there safely but, not before I pressed the button on the controls that opened the panel beside her with a box of tissues.

Through the rearview mirror, I saw her watch the panel open and look at the box. She then turned to me and I met her eyes through the mirror. She forced a little smile amidst her tears and mouthed her thanks. I nodded my welcome and turned my attention back on the road as she pulled some tissues out of the box. That was enough for the moment. It was enough for me that she knew I was there for her and I will always be there for her.

We reached the palace a few minutes later. She has stopped crying but her puffy eyes and red nose couldn't hide that she did.

After I parked the car, I held the door for her and helped her get down from the vehicle.

As I closed the door and was about to let go of her hand, she held on. I looked into her eyes and my heart ached.

"Aidan?"

"Yes, Your Highness?"

"Stay with me." She said and right then I knew I was ready to leave everything behind in a heartbeat to grant her every wish.

"I'm here, Princess. I promise to stay with you as long as you wish."

"Don't make promises, Aidan. Eventually, no matter how hard you try, whether you like it or not, you will break them." She told me.

"Never." I answered determinedly. "Not this one." I said as I held her hand tighter.

She sighed and nodded. Judging by the weak smile on her beautiful face, I'd say she felt a little reassured.

We then walked inside the castle hand in hand. I stayed with her as she wished. When we reached the King's bedroom door, she took a deep breath and finally let go of my hand as I opened the door for her.

She kept her head bowed down as she stepped inside as if trying to delay the moment when she has to face the reality of the situation.

Only the King that was on his bed with IV tubes connected to his left hand and an oxygen mask over his face and the Crown Prince by his bedside were inside. My father and the doctor together with my cousin Desmond who took my place as the Prince's bodyguard were all waiting outside in the hallway. I closed the door behind us.

"Maiena!" Prince Nikolai immediately got up from where he was seated beside the King's bed and walked towards the Princess.

"Nikolai..." The Princess heartbreakingly sobbed as the Crown Prince wrapped her in his arms.

"Ssshhh... It's alright, mi tesorita." He crooned as he gently stroked her hair and back.

"But Papa..." She sobbed.

"Would you like to see him?" He asked and she nodded.

"I'll just wait outside." I said to let her know where I will be in case she needed me.

"No!" The Princess protested and turned to me. "Please stay, Aidan." She said and one look in her eyes told me she needed me right there with her.

"Maiena, Aidan can wait outside with the others." The Crown Prince told her.

She looked at her brother. "Please, Nikolai."

"It's alright, Your Highness. I'll be right outside when you need me." I reassured her.

She then turned to me. "You promised," she said just as fresh tears trickled down her cheeks.

Shit! Scourge me a thousand times. I'm sure that would hurt less than seeing my Princess cry.

"Your Royal Highness..." I bowed to the Prince. "Please allow me to stay in the room with you. I will stand guard by the door and won't say a word. We grew up together, trained together. I am your most loyal servant. You know you can trust me."

The Crown Prince sighed. "Alright."

"Thank you, Your Highness." I bowed and stood at attention by the door.

The royal siblings went to the King's bed where the Princess sat beside her father and the Prince stood behind her.

"Papa..." She sobbed as she held the King's hand that was free of the IV tubes.

Prince Nikolai comforted her as he explained what happened to the King. "Father got thrown off the horse during his ride this morning. He hit his head and suffered a moderate concussion. The doctor said he'll be fine but he needs to rest for two to three weeks that's why they gave him medication to keep him asleep because you know Papa." He scoffed.

Finally, the Princess looked up with a hint of the usual spark in her eyes. "So he'll be okay?" She asked.

"Yes, baby sister. He'll be okay. You're really just overreacting." He chuckled.   "Papa will live til a hundred."

"He better." Princess Maiena pouted and wiped her tears. "And you should live for 200 more after that. You can't leave me."

The Crown Prince laughed at his sister's child-like wish. "Of course, mi tesorita. We will never leave you. Whose going to cut your husband's heads off if he messes with you when I'm not around?"

"I can do that myself." The Princess smirked and I had no doubt in my mind that she can.

"I know you can, amore. I know you can." Prince Nikolai laughed heartily as he hugged his sister while I unconsciously swallowed hard and rubbed my neck.

***

A/N:

So the King will be alright but three weeks is a long-time for a Kingless kingdom. What could happen to our royal siblings and Reidonia during those times?

We'll find out soon enough.

Here's our prompt this chapter.

Thank you for reading. Happy weekend! ☺

xoxo,
Deng ❤