Early Fall, 1582

Magsimula sa umpisa

"You will take him?" I pressed.

Peter made a small noise that sounded suspiciously like a "No", but I ignored him. This was no longer up to either of them.

It was my choice.

I kept staring at Daniel, not about to take no for an answer when he looked up. The devastation on his face stayed my tongue, putting a responsive lump in my throat. He nodded reluctantly and stood.

"I will take him," he said hoarsely. "I will keep him as safe and as well as I can."

Tears of relief flooded down my face. I nudged Peter gently, encouraging him to get to his feet. When we were both standing, I took his hand and led him toward Daniel, who stared up at us for a moment before gaining his feet as well.

I attempted a smile, but I could see it didn't work, so I turned to Peter, kneeling down so I was on his level and taking his other hand. The boy looked at me, his grey eyes large and solemn in his pale face.

"Daniel is a friend of mine," I said quietly. "You can trust him. He is going to take you from this place."

Peter's lip began to wobble and he bit it, making a valiant effort to remain stoic. "W-What about you, Aunt?"

I smiled, closing my eyes so more tears wouldn't escape. "I must stay here for a little while longer," I said, somehow managing to keep my voice steady. "All will be well."

When I opened my eyes, I was met by a look of complete incredulity. He did not believe me. I had not expected him to, but at least he didn't argue.

He looked to the side, staring up at the shape of Daniel looming above us.

Daniel crouched down, placing his hand over ours. He gave me a strange, pained look, then turned his attention upon Peter. "We will go somewhere warm," he said. "Would you like that?"

I smiled again, choking on my sorrow. Peter was always better during the warmer, drier months. The boy nodded slowly, still looking unhappy. I pushed myself to my feet, Daniel's hand at my elbow to help me rise.

Looking up to meet his eyes, I said, "Take him far from here. I do not want him to see it."

Daniel looked away, a muscle ticking furiously in his jaw. Cautiously, I touched my fingers to the fluttering muscle, wanting to still its frantic movement. I opened my mouth to thank him, but never got the chance.

His lips crashed onto mine, his hands tangling in my filthy hair, keeping me pinned against him.

My only thought was that I didn't mind being kissed by a stranger if I was to die tomorrow. So I wound my arms around his neck, returning his kiss just as fiercely. Tears—mine or his, I couldn't tell—turned to salt on my lips.

When he pulled away, he whispered, "This isn't the end."

I shook my head, turning to Peter. He was staring very hard at the floor, but looked up as soon as I placed a hand on his shoulder. He wrapped his thin arms around my middle in a crushing hug, his face pressed against my stomach.

Hugging him back, I murmured, "You will be safe with him, but you must be very brave."

"I will, Aunt," he replied, voice choked with tears.

I held onto him for as long as I could, but I knew our time was drawing to a close. With a nod at Daniel, I extricated myself from my beloved nephew and stepped toward the door. They would have a better chance of escape if the guards were worried about a witch running loose.

Daniel raised his hand to knock, then stopped. He bowed his head and heaved a shaking breath. He turned and gently cupped my face, kissing me one last time. It was softer this time. Sad.

I pulled away and kissed his cheek, then pounded the side of my hand against the door. Daniel raised his voice. "I have finished with her."

As soon as the door creaked open, I darted into the hall.

A shout echoed after me, heavy footsteps pounding out a pursuit. More shouting ensued as I twisted around the corners of the dungeons, stumbling over my chains, leading away from the exit.

As I heard the guards clattering and swearing behind me, I couldn't help the hysterical laugh bubbling in my throat.

I turned a last corner, knowing it would lead nowhere. 

Something hard collided with the back of my head, and I pitched forward into unconsciousness.

My last thought was that at least one innocent life would be spared.