8.

EXT.  DOWNING STREET GATES – MORNING

The BODYGUARD rolls up at the gates at one end of Downing Street. Two armed POLICE OFFICERS come out of the guard house to meet them. The BODYGUARD winds down his window, and POLICE OFFICER #1 crouches to look in.

BODYGUARD:

Reverend Hawksmore is here for his meeting with the PM.

POLICE OFFICER #1 nods.

POLICE OFFICER #1:

One second, please.

POLICE OFFICER #1 gestures to POLICE OFFICER #2, who turns and makes his way back into the guard house. After a few seconds he returns and the barriers start to roll back.

POLICE OFFICER #2:

Head on in. Someone will be waiting for you at number 10.

The BODYGUARD coasts slowly through, down the cobbled street towards Number 10.

EXT.  10 DOWNING STREET

Once parked, the BODYGUARD gets out of the car and opens the rear door for HAWKSMORE. He steps out of the car and approaches the front door. From inside, POLICE OFFICER #3 opens it for him.

INT.  10 DOWNING STREET – ENTRANCE HALL

As he crosses the threshold, he’s greeted by a SECRETARY.

SECRETARY:

The PM is waiting for you upstairs.

HAWKSMORE:

Thank you. I’ll see myself up.

HAWKSMORE crossed the marble-tiled hallway and ascends the impressive staircase. He doesn’t pay much attention to his surroundings, as though he’s seen it all before.

INT.  PRIME MINISTER’S OFFICE

The PRIME MINISTER stares out of a large window and smokes an e-cigarette while he waits for HAWKSMORE. Hearing his guest approaching, he turns to greet him.

HAWKSMORE:

Prime Minister.

PRIME MINISTER:

Hawksmore. Can I offer you a drink?

The PRIME MINISTER gestures to a tray of tea and biscuits on the cabinet table.

HAWKSMORE:

Not for me, thanks. I have the files I mentioned.

HAWKSMORE hands the folder over to the PRIME MINISTER, who flips it open and skims through the files inside.

HAWKSMORE:

They’ll be leaked to the press tomorrow.

PRIME MINISTER:

Can I ask how you got hold of these?

HAWKSMORE:

A whistle blower, of sorts. One of the Agora cleaning staff brought them to my attention.

The PRIME MINISTER nods.

PRIME MINISTER:

Six serious incidents in as many years! We’ll have no problem getting the ban on AI technology through Parliament one all this comes to light.

The PRIME MINISTER goes to hand the folder back to HAWKSMORE.

HAWKSMORE:

Keep them. I have digital copies.

PRIME MINISTER:

It’s a shame really – this kind of technology could have become our largest military export before too long.

HAWKSMORE:

A small sacrifice. These machines are far too dangerous to be allowed. And besides, this will do a world of good for your approval rating.

PRIME MINISTER:

True. You’ve done an excellent job of influencing public opinion.

HAWKSMORE:

Public opinions aren’t influenced – all I’ve done is bring an existing mood to the surface.

PRIME MINISTER:

I take it the protests will stop once all this is dealt with?

HAWKSMORE:

Naturally. How quickly will you have a team set up to dispose of the dangerous technology?

PRIME MINISTER:

We’ll send a team of inspectors to make sure everything’s been dealt with in a couple of weeks.

HAWKSMORE:

Weeks? No, that simply won’t do. That will give them time to ferret away their pet projects and protect them from destruction.

PRIME MINISTER:

I’m sorry, but these things take time. And I hardly think you’re qualified to be making that kind of judgement – I’ve consulted with the Ministry of Defence and this is the plan they’ve come up with.

HAWKSMORE:

But you must see what a huge risk you’re taking…

PRIME MINISTER:

Enough! Now look, you’re here today because I needed your assurances that the city would be back to normal once all this has blown over – nothing more. I do not appreciate being called incompetent, and I certainly will not be taking political advice from you. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have another meeting to attend. I’ve called someone to see you out.

POLICE OFFICER #3 arrives at the door of the office.

POLICE OFFICER #3:

If you’ll kindly come with me, I’ll walk you to the door.

HAWKSMORE:

Very well. Thank you for your time.

HAWKSMORE follows POLICE OFFICER #3 out of the PRIME MINISTER’s office.

INT.  10 DOWNING STREET – ENTRANCE HALL

HAWKSMORE follows POLICE OFFICER #3 down the grand staircase. POLICE OFFICER #3 gets the door for him, but he storms out without acknowledging the gesture.

EXT.  10 DOWNING STREET

Still enraged, HAWKSMORE storms over to the car, opens the back door and gets in (before the BODYGUARD even has a chance to unbuckle his seatbelt).

INT.  HAWKSMORE’S CAR

The men sit in silence as the BODYGUARD drives to the end of the road and waits patiently for the gates to open.

By the time the car’s back on the road and heading back to the monastery, HAWKSMORE has regained his composure.

HAWKSMORE:

Looks like we’ll have to take matters into our own hands after all.