3.

EXT.  MARATHON STARTING LINE – EARLY MORNING

Thousands of amateur runners are gathering at the starting line, preparing to begin the race. AARON is among them, limbering up and drinking water ahead of the endurance challenge he’s about to put himself through.

MALE ANCHOR:

It really is the perfect weather for a run this morning, as the amateur competitors perform their warm-up rituals at the starting line.

FEMALE ANCHOR:

For those of you just joining us, we’re minutes away from the start of the 2046 London Marathon – the annual 26.2 mile endurance challenge that leads round the capital’s most famous landmarks.

Following the recent string of protests, there were fears that anti-AI demonstrators might disrupt the event – especially since this year’s finish line is right outside the Agora Research Institute – but so far those fears appear unfounded.

MALE ANCHOR:

Indeed. So far there’s not a protestor in sight. You can’t help but wonder whether the media has blown the sense of public outrage on this issue totally out of proportion.

INT.  AARON’S HOUSE – LIVING ROOM

YUKO’s watching the coverage of the run with her friend HUW, who had also planned to run the marathon but sprained his ankle during training and was forced to pull out. They’re eating snacks on the sofa and chatting when AARON appears on the TV screen.

YUKO:

Oh look, there he is!

HUW:

Oh god, he doesn’t look like he has a clue what he’s doing. How much training did he do for this?

YUKO:

Oh, barely any. He seemed pretty confident he’d be able to just rock up and do it.

HUW:

Haha! Hm… maybe if I’d trained a little less I’d be at the starting line now, instead of here with you.

YUKO:

Charming!

HUW:

You know what I mean. Obviously I’m very glad you invited me round for this. I’m just pretty gutted I had to pull out, is all.

YUKO:

Heh, don’t worry about it – I was just teasing. Would you mind grabbing me a drink from the fridge before they start? You can help yourself to a beer while you’re in there.

HUW:

Sure thing.

INT.  AARON’S HOUSE – KITCHEN

HUW retrieves a beer from the fridge for himself, and a bottle of lemonade for YUKO.

INT.  AARON’S HOUSE – LIVING ROOM

 Cradling the drinks, HUW returns to the living room just in time to see the race begin on TV.