4.

INT.  HOSPITAL WARD – AARON’S BEDSIDE – DAY TIME

AARON regains consciousness in a hospital ward. It’s unclear how much time has passed. YUKO is there at his bedside and when she notices him coming round. She presses the buzzer for assistance and calls for help.

YUKO:

Someone come quick. He’s waking up.

While she waits for help to arrive, YUKO helps a dazed and groggy AARON sit up in his bed. In the background, a news report on TV says that it’s believed the bombing was carried out by religious fanatics opposed to the research conducted at the AI facility.

MALE REPORTER:

Protests outside the Agora Research Institute drew record numbers this morning. An estimated 10,000 people turned up to listen to Anton Hawksmore’s sermon, and to support him in his opposition to artificial intelligence research.

Public opinion has shifted even further against Agora after a video surfaced online in which masked men claimed the recent bombings at the London Marathon were in protest against the use of dangerous military technologies in Afghanistan.

When FEMALE DOCTOR gets there, she conducts an ABCDE[i] examination to see how AARON’s doing.

FEMALE DOCTOR:

Can you tell me your name?

AARON’s still extremely groggy, but after a moment he responds.

AARON:

Aaron. Aaron Dewitt.

FEMALE DOCTOR:

Good. Now open your mouth and say ‘aaaah’

While AARON cooperates, FEMALE DOCTOR looks down his throat, inspecting his airways and respiratory rate. Next, she puts two fingers gently onto his neck to check his pulse.

FEMALE DOCTOR:

You’re lucky to be alive. The second bomb didn’t go off properly – if it had, it’d have blown you to bits!

YUKO:

Evan said the doctors made it to you just in time.

FEMALE DOCTOR:

Which is a small miracle really, given that you were so close to the blast. You’ve been incredibly lucky. Can you feel this?

FEMALE DOCTOR pinches AARON. AARON winces. Up till this point he’s been mostly unresponsive. He’s still a little disorientated and is staring expressionlessly at his legs, which are little more than bandaged stumps.

AARON:

Where’s Evan now?

YUKO:

That stubborn arsehole is at work. It’s bloody strange if you ask me. There are legions of people protesting outside that place seven days a week now – he must be getting all kinds of abuse. I told him he should be here with you but he said he’d just made some kind of breakthrough and there was no way he could take a break just now… not for anyone.

AARON:

Would you call him, please?

FEMALE DOCTOR seems satisfied that AARON’s not going to die suddenly, and steps away from the bed.

FEMALE DOCTOR:

I’ll give you two some time together. We’ll have to book you in for a scan as soon as possible, and then we’ll start thinking about getting you fitted for some prosthetics.

YUKO:

Thank you, doctor.

The NURSE exits the room, leaving AARON alone in the room with YUKO.

YUKO:

I’ll try him again, but I doubt he’ll pick up. Honestly, I reckon the only things he cares about are those blasted machines.

AARON:

I’m sure he’s working on something important…

INT.  AI RESEARCH FACILITY – EVAN’S BASEMENT LAB

EVAN’s mobile phone is lying on a work surface just out of earshot. As it buzzes, EVAN is setting up his web cam to record a video log. Around him are various pieces of machinery and computer equipment. The rest of the lab is deserted.

EVAN:

Those Neanderthals out front are terrorising the entire facility. It’s gotten so much worse since the bombings. They hurl projectiles at anything they see coming in or out of the facility, and recently I’ve noticed some of them taking photos of members of staff as they pass.

Those who are able to have started working from home, and many are afraid to even do that. For the first time in decades this lab has reached a near-total stand still. After the way I was treated on the way in today it’s clear I must stop coming here as well. It’s not safe anymore – I wouldn’t have risked it at all if my research wasn’t at such a critical point.

 I’ve loaded some pretty heavy-duty equipment into a van so that, barring some catastrophe, I shouldn’t need to come back in for some time.

EVAN gestures to the brain scanner, and his pet chimp, which is still in his cage behind him.

EVAN:

The scanner is far too large to move by myself, but I should be able to bring this guy with me – so at least he’ll be there to keep me company. I’m not sure how long all this will last, but it looks like things will get worse before they get any better.

EVAN finishes his log and shuts off the video camera.

[i] Airway, Breathing, Circulation, Breathing, Disability, Exposure