Chapter Twenty-Six

I shield my eyes from the bright sun. Its strong rays are beating down on me, making my skin sizzle.

"Boy is it starting to get hot." 

Adrian looks at me and smiles. "That is why we are going for a refreshing swim." 

I tug at the strap of my bathing suit which is digging into my poor shoulders. "This bathing suit is killing me though."

Now Adrian is smirking, a mischievous glint in his evergreen eyes. "You can always go skinnydipping."

It's hard to keep the blush away from my cheeks. "I'll pass on that offer."

He smiles, taking hold of my hand. Sweaty palm on sweaty palm. "Jump on the count of three?"

Gulping, I nod. Together we walk up to the edge, Pickensville Creek looking up at us. Daring us to make the dive.

"1-2-3."

We take a big leap, air rushing toward us, and then the water crashing all around. I come up gasping for air right before Adrian pops up beside me, grinning from ear to ear. The intensity in his eyes causes me to shiver. 

Before I know it, his warm hands are lifting me up. Releasing a squeal, I quickly grab ahold of him, not letting him drop me. 2 arms wrapped around 1 neck. 

"Don't worry, I won't drop you." His hand moves to push some wet strands out of my eyes. I stare back at him, my heart pounding. 

Electricity pulls us closer together, lips lingering. "Are we allowed to kiss," I whisper, "or do we have to focus?"

His lips curl up on the sides into a glorious smile. "I think it's ok if we kiss."

"Then what are we waiting f..."

He silences me, lips crashing together. My fingers dig into his scalp as his hands grip my bare legs, burning my skin. I am ablaze.

He tastes like saltwater, but I don't care. Love overcomes all. My heart is ready to burst into red rose petals. 

Unwrapping my arms from around his neck, I kick back, moving myself to shallower water. Now I can stand too. With a flirtatious smile plastered onto my face, I beckon him over with my finger. Slowly he walks toward me. Such a tease.

Finally, he stands before me and I take a step forward, hands pressed to his chest. His heart gives a little leap which makes me smile. It's good to know what effect I have on him. Because he definitely already knows that all of him drives me crazy. 

He murmurs my name as I begin to kiss a trail from his chest to his neck. Tasting him. While my hands skim over his abs. Feeling him. His strong body shudders from my touch and once again he begins to murmur my name over and over again. A song. A praise.

Now I'm gazing into his eyes, hoping he can see the love reflecting off mine. "Shelby," he breathes, his long fingers tracing a line up my spine. 

"Yes." I melt into him. 

"I love you. Never forget that, ok?"

My eyes begin to well up with tears. "How could I ever forget?" I then kiss him softly. "I love you so, so, so much."

He wipes away a lone tear that managed to escape and roll down my cheek. "I know."

I give him a lazy smile. "Race you back to shore?"

"Oh, it's on."

A few minutes later at the same time, Adrian and I collapse where we left our clothes, chests heaving. I lean my head on his and wrapped up in each other's arms we sit under the sun.