Prologue

Dear Readers, if this is a movie I would rate it pg-13 since there are some brief scenes of self-harm and then suicidal thoughts. So just warning you. 

Everyone is afraid of something; it's all part of being human. I believe that Veronica Roth understood this concept in her book, Divergent, when she made her tough boy character, Four,  have four fears. That's what we are, small humans afraid of the big, bad wolf. Our world.

Sadly I'm not as tough as Four's character and have a few more fears on my list.

Well, here it is, Shelby Morganstein's List of Fears:

1. My death (Thanatophobia)

2. The deaths of my loved ones

3. Fire (Pyrophobia)

4. War (Traumatophobia)

5. Needles, or any pointed object (Aichmophobia)

6. Spiders (Arachnophobia)

7. Tsunamis (Tsunamiphobia)

And a few not-so-important things.

Now, why is my death all the way at the top of my list you may ask?

Well, because death is unpredictable. No one really knows when they're going to die. One moment a person can be walking, talking, smiling, and mainly breathing, and the next gone... Dead.

That's what frightens me the most. Because I can't really ever picture how I'm going to be taken from this world.

So it's kind of ironic that now I'm actually on the brink of my death. Lying here in a hospital bed, hooked up to many machines. 1 in my arm, in my leg, blue circular objects on my chest making sure my heart is beating, and tubes down my throat and up my nostrils ensuring that my lungs are expanding with each weak breath. Then last but not least, there's the heart monitor beeping softly in the distance.

So not how I pictured it, but yeah, I didn't really picture it, did I?