03

NATALIE

NATALIE

"You're not even trying"

I glared at him, from across the room. As he leaned against the wall watching me with a bored expression.

"I can't exactly concentrate with you telling me every five seconds that I'm doing something wrong." I sniped back, lowering my hands. I stared angrily at the feathers on the ground I had been trying to levitate for the past couple of hours.

Other than the time the wind had ruffled a few, they sat unmoving no matter how hard I chanted, or how exasperated I became.

"It's not about your concentration love." He pushed himself from the wall, walking towards me, "You're holding yourself back."

I sighed running my hands through my hair, "Then enlighten me o wise one." I said sarcastically.

"You're scared." I felt my mouth go dry as he looked to me for confirmation, "You're scared to use magic which is why we sit here everyday, and nothing ever happens." I felt my chest constrict painfully, at his statement

"This is pointless." I muttered, standing up, "I never should've agreed to this. It's not helping me at all." I went to the wall blowing out the candles erratically as he continued pressing me,

"You're scared of something going wrong if you even try to use magic." I continued ignoring him, "You think if you can just push it down far enough it will go away. And we both know that's not true."

I went to blow out the last candle but he was faster, snatching it out of my reach,

"Admit it." I felt something within me snap at his nonstop prodding.

"Of course I'm scared." I growled, "I'm terrified of what I could do." I stared at my hands,"What I've already done." I corrected.

"Darling if you haven't noticed." He paused waving his hand around the abandoned room, "You can't hurt anyone here."

"That's not the point." I fumed. "If I open myself up willingly...what if I do something bad?" I whispered.

"It only works if you let go of everything else and just feel." He stared into my eyes, "You need a clear mind and no fear." His hand moved lightly across my arm, sending goosebumps across my body from the chill of his fingers. "You just have to want it." He whispered, the candlelight reflecting in the deep brown of his eyes.

But that was the problem. I didn't want it.

I broke the trance, pulling away from him, "I don't know how to do that." I protested.

"You're making excuses." He stated flatly. He shoved the remaining candle into my hand. "When you're serious about learning how to use your power... you know where to find me."