↘︎ chapter forty

Start from the beginning

"What do you mean?" asked confused Ron and raised his eyebrows. "I thought you liked Fred. I mean, you're always together."

"Of course I do." quickly said Marley, not removing her hazel eyes from the red-haired boy who not once made her day better. "We're here as friends, Ron. If you ask me, I wanted to go with someone else. His twin, for example."

"You have a crush on George?!" exclaimed Harry who couldn't believe his ears. Marley and Ron rolled their eyes at the same time. The girl saw her best friend Noen Black, who was dancing with Brooklyn Ray. Draco Malfoy, Pansy Parkinson and Blaise Zabini were also with them. Marley was still very impressed about her childhood best friend's taste of friends. Not that they were bad, but Draco. He was acting so bad with her brother.

George and Lee approached the table where Harry, Ron and Marley were sitting. They poured in cups some pumpkin juice and the fifteen-year-old girl turned to see them.

"Oh, hi George. Lee." she greeted them. "Who are you at the Yule Ball with, Jordan?"

"Katie Bell." replied proudly Lee and stretched out his chest. "I asked her in the beginning of December. Oh, she's dancing with Alicia right now and I promised her to bring some pumpkin juice."

George was about to drink from his cup but Lee grabbed it from his hand and, with two cups in his hands, headed for Katie dancing on the dance floor. And then the fast track turned into a slow and flowing melody with a slightly sad lyrics. Harry and Ron had no intention of getting up, and Hermione and Viktor went dancing.

"One dance?" proposed George. Marley just nodded and smiled. Both went to the dance floor. The girl wouldn't think what they were doing was wrong, because Fred and Lina weren't here and they couldn't say anything. And most important, they wouldn't mind at all their partners were dancing with each other. It wasn't like Fred and Marley were dating or George and Lina too. But even if it was, they still wouldn't mind.

"Any idea where Lina or Fred are?" questioned Marley, slowly swinging in rhythm with the pleasant and relaxing love song The Weird Sisters were singing. George just shook his head and take a quick look at the Hall, but still no clue of them. "I need to tell you something."

"What is it?" asked George, still looking quite distracted. Marley swallowed the lump in her throat.

"Well, I didn't want to go with Fred to the ball." she said it so quickly and for a moment thought George wouldn't understand her. "Don't get me wrong, I really love Fred and he's an amazing friend and crazy dancer. I just wanted to go with someone else. Someone I really like."

"Yeah, me too." nodded George and Marley's eyes stopped on his. What was that supposed to mean? Well, it was obvious George didn't want to go with Angelina and she wasn't his first choice, but who was then? "But the girl I wanted to go with, was asked by someone else."

"That sucks. Why don't you find her and tell her that you wanted to go with her? You know, that's a stupid idea. Don't listen to me."

George just laughed, so did Marley. For a moment it looked like everything was normal between them and they were just some best friends, dancing together. But she wanted George to be something more than just a best friend or the protecting brother he liked to act.

"But maybe you're right. Well, at least I don't have to find her." he shrugged arms and carefully swinged Marley. "See, Potter, that was good?"

"I thought you didn't like to call me like that, Weasel." she joked.

"Well, I want to change your last name too, but it's impossible for now." he also joked or... did he? Yes, he was joking. It was just their friendly joking-flirting between them and Marley mustn't give hopes this is going to work out. It wasn't possible.

"Uhm, what do you mean that you don't have to find her?" questioned Marley, remembering what George had said a few minutes ago. He simply grinned.

"Because she's dancing with me." said calmly George and the girl for a moment froze and forgot how to breathe. Was she really the girl George wanted to go to the Yule Ball with? Her heart skipped a beat and then did a race with the nerves in her stomach. "You're the girl I wanted to go the whole time."

"Ме too." shot Marley quickly to show George that she felt the same way. She hardly smiled, and for a moment the red-haired boy looked stunned. His eyes gleamed and his white face looked a little pale before. "I really hoped you'd ask me and, I won't lie, I felt bad when Lina told me you asked her."

"Wait, so you wanted to go to the ball with me?" repeated George like echo and Marley simply nodded. She let a shy smile to touch her lips. "Is it too bad if we do it?"

"Not at all." giggled the girl. The music was getting slower and quieter. She was dulling Marley's senses, and she even forgot what she was thinking and forgot her feelings. And then the music got slower. Marley was short, but after sensing what George was trying to do, she rose to her tiptoes and kissed him quickly.

"Can I kiss you now?" he asked and his warm breath tickled the skin of her neck. "But this time let me do it."

"Fine." she playfully rolled her eyes and let George bent and kiss her. Yet she was still on her tiptoes because of the height. But she didn't care. She just let herself enjoy what she had been waiting for so long. Well, only half a year but this half a year and seemed quite long for her. She wondered how long George had felt that way about her. Year? A couple of months?

The kiss was simple and gentle. She wasn't of the passionate kind, but it had time for everything. No one was surprised that this was Marley's first kiss. At one time, she heard various whistles and shouts, but did not pay attention to them.

When they finally broke the kiss, she was unable to stop her smile or control her emotions. Her face was red like a bloody rose. George was also smiling.

"I hope we're a thing now, Weasley, because, otherwise, I'd be quite disappointed." Marley said, playfullness crept into her voice. "Because you're a good kisser."

"Of course I am." admitted George, laughing. "Now, just for the sake of my love for professor McGonagall, I'm going to be a polite boy, but you know I'm not that kind of guy. So, Miss Wonderful, do me the favour of being my girlfriend or else I will be bury myself underground."

Marley couldn't help but burst out laughing, happier than ever. Then she coughed and joined George in his little sweet play. "Of course, Mister Red-haired magnificence. Unless you make me the happiest girl in Hogwarts, I'm coming to you underground."

"Deal." smirked George but instead of shaking hands, they kissed again.